Tapered gib

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm needing a tapered gib for the compound slide on an old 12x36 king/enco lathe and of course part number is obsolete and manufacturer doesn't list it any more.

I'm guessing it is the same on many other lathes. Any one with a modern Asian 12×36 lathe want to take a look and see if the dimensions in my photo look like my gib might work in your lathe? My hope is that I can then order with a modern part number. 20220524_144833.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Could you braze or weld it back together?
Well that's an approach only a madman would take in a desperate situation, as everyone knows there would be slim chance of it being successful and almost zero chance of it being useable afterwards.....and that is exactly what I attempted while you were replying:D. Not looking very good so far. I suspect years of bathing in oil and grease made the cast iron impossible to clean enough to braze. Normally I would grind to new metal but didn't want to do this as I would lose the fit of the pieces.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
playing devil‘s advocate

Isn't the break irrelevant? The gib is held in place by the adjusting screws at each end. The broken piece can’t go anywhere. It’s loaded in compression at all times. Supported against two bearing surfaces. I’m sure your braze repair will still be useable 20 years from now.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
playing devil‘s advocate

Isn't the break irrelevant? The gib is held in place by the adjusting screws at each end. The broken piece can’t go anywhere. It’s loaded in compression at all times. Supported against two bearing surfaces. I’m sure your braze repair will still be useable 20 years from now.
Hmnn I didn't even try with the broken piece in place, it may have worked if wouldn't fall out when the back of the compound slide hung out. But I think your right it may have worked just fine.:eek:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm needing a tapered gib for the compound slide on an old 12x36 king/enco lathe and of course part number is obsolete and manufacturer doesn't list it any more.

I'm guessing it is the same on many other lathes. Any one with a modern Asian 12×36 lathe want to take a look and see if the dimensions in my photo look like my gib might work in your lathe? My hope is that I can then order with a modern part number.View attachment 24090

Try a Grizzly 12x36. There are several models. They have good parts manuals. I'd bet an extra small coffee that all their 12x36 compounds are the same as yours.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm needing a tapered gib for the compound....... Any one with a modern Asian 12×36? My hope is that I can then order with a modern part number.

Further to my last note, the Compound on the Grizzly is 180mm. Betting the Gib is 175. Don't know about the width. But betting it would work.

Edit - you can download the parts book from Grizzly. The Compound Gib P/N is P0750G0727.

Now that you have welded up the Gibb, you have lots of time to decide whether or not you want to replace it.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Further to my last note, the Compound on the Grizzly is 180mm. Betting the Gib is 175. Don't know about the width. But betting it would work.

Edit - you can download the parts book from Grizzly. The Compound Gib P/N is P0750G0727.

Now that you have welded up the Gibb, you have lots of time to decide whether or not you want to replace it.
A bit to my surprise, the repaired gib works beautifully. I suspect it will now outlast me.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Too funny! But hey, celebrate your victories and move on! There will be many others that will not turn out that way at all!

I do agree with @whydontu . It prolly doesn't matter anyway and would work just fine even if still broken. Trouble is that most of us (I'm one of them) would never sleep afterward wondering when it would bite me......

If you ever change your mind, you got at least one lead!