• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tailstock thread help

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Hey all!

First off, happy holidays. The other day when using my lathe my tailstock seemed to stop working. Upon dissection I have found the acme thread on the quill to be stripped. I found the following thread on practical machinist.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/tailstock-quill-nut-stripped-201513/

One user mentions boring out the stripped threads and replacing it with a threaded bronze bushing. I think i will end up going down this path but wanted to get others opinions on it.
Also just as an aside if anyone would be willing to make said bushing I would be happy to get you a technical drawing, but basically I need a bronze bushing with an OD of .8750 with a through hole that has been drilled and tapped to ACME 1/2 -10 LH.
Unfortunately as Holbrook lathe are a little more niche replacement parts are hard to come by.
Thanks in advance,

alex

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dumb question before you order but is it a reverse thread? My 14x40 is likely different mechanism but I think most lathes are screw handle clockwise = quill extends towards headstock.

Attachments

• IMG_1769_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1769_edited-1.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1773_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_1773_edited-1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 4

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yes it should be left hand thread. Turning the handle clockwise pushes the quill out. The nut in the picture is left hand. You can also buy acme lead screw from them but I was able to get my lead screw at the Bolt Supply House locally to save the shipping charge. It was 1.25" left hand thread acme.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Dumb question before you order but is it a reverse thread? My 14x40 is likely different mechanism but I think most lathes are screw handle clockwise = quill extends towards headstock.

My (9" Utilathe) turns clockwise to extend towards the headstock. The quill bore thread is Acme 1/2"-10 LH.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Bolt supply house has acme thread? Wow, did not know that! Good to know. I am going to replace worn out acme screws. My choice was Macmaster Carr but saving on shipping is good. Now I can add Roton to the list!

John Conroy

Premium Member
They had to order it Tom but it took less than a week and was around $80 for a 3 foot piece of 1.25" left hand thread acme shaft. They couldnt supply the bronze nuts so I got them from Roton.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Hey all just wanted to update and close this thread out. Hopefully it can help someone in the future. I ordered the nut from roton as john recommended, bored out the old one, pressed the new one in and drilled and tapped some holes for 8-32 screws. I have reinstalled it and everything is working lovely.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Attachments

• C500B13A-BAF9-4FBB-9A67-4D865D633B5F_1_102_o.jpeg
    C500B13A-BAF9-4FBB-9A67-4D865D633B5F_1_102_o.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 15

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Nice work Alex. Better than new probably.

Thanks! Honestly this has been the first part that I have made where tolerances actually mattered, but I took my time, set everything up and indicated everything I could think of and it came out great... now I’m itching for more :)