• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tailstock Taper attachment

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
With the beautiful summer and fall we have had its been hard to get back into the shop but I was able to finish this tailstock taper attachment based on a drawing I downloaded, my stock was a bit different sizes so I made it my own I added another set of holes to increase the adjustment available. I used mt2 to jt1 adapter I had and cut the taper into the disk for mounting. The slot turned out really well after a bit of stoning its a perfect fit. I added the center reference not sure yet if I will tick off marks as the drawing had. I reused a center point I had made long ago. I haven't tried it yet but hope to soon.

1728084230846.jpeg
1728084283494.jpeg
1728084472971.jpeg
1728084503052.jpeg
1728084745603.jpeg

Did you consider a live center instead?

I have started something similar. I found an old MT3 with tang boring head in my old mill tools drawer. It prolly came with my mill/drill. My lathe has an MT3 tailstock that will acommodate a tang so I've been playing with using the boring head to offset a live center. It seems to be not so easy.......

You had me at tailstock!
Can you, will you, share those drawings?
Nice work! Great execution!

Thanks for sharing
Yes, please for the drawing(s); I have a small straight shank live center (I can’t remember where I got it) that could be incorporated. Thanks!!

Yes, please for the drawing(s); I have a small straight shank live center (I can’t remember where I got it) that could be incorporated. Thanks!!

How about a photo of you holding your little live center?

Back