Taig Micro lathe accessories

GerryinBelleRiver

I have the following accessories for sale. All in excellent condition.

20211203_132256_resized.jpg

Two 3 jaw scroll chucks, regular and reverse jaws
Two four jaw chucks , regular and reverse jaws
A 4 jaw scroll chuck
A set of aluminum soft jaws ( not shown)
Milling vise and milling slide
Top slide
Steady rest
Riser
Double and single wood turning tool rests
Two slitting saw arbours , a blank arbour and a face plate arbour
Tail stock centre and two spur centres
Tool post with boring bar
Chuck arbour
Two 1/4" Jacobs chucks and a 1/4" Costal chuck
Various drill, countersinks and lathe tooling included
Asking $600 plus shipping
Please note that at this time I will be selling ONLY AS A PACKAGE.

I also have a set of 16 micro turning chisels from Lee Valley. The 8 piece set currently retails for $180 tax inc, I dont believe they carry the eight piece scraper set any longer. Selling the 16 piece set for $200 plus shipping. If you buy the Taig accessories I will include the turning chisels for $140 with no extra shipping charges, but you will have to act fast as I will sell these seperately

20211129_132936_resized.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks Gerry. Glad you got what you wanted. Hope that frees up some time for you!

I may try my hand at making some some micro work holding devices when/if the need arises!

Sorry for my initial oversight.

I was also hoping it would give me another chance to see your shop. I have this feeling that there was sooooo much more there to see and learn!

But perhaps I shouldn't be looking for an excuse.......

I've forgotten. Was your small knee mill a Hardinge?

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I might have PM'd you twice. Not 100% sure what I am doing yet.

Hope I'm not spamming you!

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Gerry,

The package arrived today. THANKS! Nice selection of a lot of things I didn't have/could use more of.

Are the 1/4" carbide insert holders shop made?

What is the purpose of the little red plastic drill bit holder? Deburring?

And nice job packing. Was kind of like Christmas again - and all stuff I like.

GerryinBelleRiver

Certainly a lot better than a Christmas tie!

I believe the insert holders were purchased. You may still be able to get them. I know that Little Machine Shop in the US carried parts for Taig lathes as well as other small lathes at one time.

That little red drill bit holder was a mystery to me as well

Enjoy

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Here it is. I've also included a drill bit with a rasp-like section after the initial drill portion. There is one that is a drill/reamer, and a few like this one.

IMG_3756.JPG

I was mostly asking Gerry, but there are likely lots of others who are familiar with these.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Certainly a lot better than a Christmas tie!

I believe the insert holders were purchased. You may still be able to get them. I know that Little Machine Shop in the US carried parts for Taig lathes as well as other small lathes at one time.

That little red drill bit holder was a mystery to me as well

Enjoy
So true!

Thanks again.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I knew a machinist back thirty years ago who used one of his old drill chucks for a bit holder when he was sharpening the drills on a grinding wheel.
I am guessing it would give you a better grip on the drill bit without burning and cutting your fingers while sharpening.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here it is. I've also included a drill bit with a rasp-like section after the initial drill portion. There is one that is a drill/reamer, and a few like this one.

View attachment 20027

I was mostly asking Gerry, but there are likely lots of others who are familiar with these.

It's ok, I was just wondering what this gadget looked like. Based on the Jaws you can see where the drill bit comes out, it looks a bit like a small handheld drill chuck!

Ive never seen such a thing before but I do think @LenVW may have nailed it!

Might also be useful for hand turning a drill bit where you want more control or when the drill grabs or or or......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Anyone on the weird drill?

Oh, I thought you only wondered about the holder.

I have a half dozen very old drills like that. I've had them all my adult life. I don't even know where or how I got them.

I call them burrs. In my late teens and 20s I used them to open holes up by wobbling the drill around or to file edges in the drill like a handheld mill - way faster than a file. Often in wood, sometimes in metal. I never considered them to be a precision tool.

They were probably popular way back in the day. And probably acquired at a hardware store. My father in law also had some in his tool cabinet that I saw after he passed. My wife's brother has them now.

They probably came in a multipurpose set. I doubt I bought them individually. Some are ball shaped and some are conical, but the majority look like that one - basically a 1/4 drill with various kinds of shoulders from lines to rasp bits to spiral cutting edges. All are now black with age and have lots of accidental burrs in the shanks from spinning in a drill chuck.

I used one just recently the same way I used them 60 years ago. Needed to enlarge a hole in the back of an installed cabinet to get an electrical cord plug through it. It still works as well for stuff like that it did way back when.

All that said, maybe it's just my farmer roots showing through. It's probably a precision tool for a very specific application that I have rednecked to death a million other ways.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As per @Susquatch,
It looks looks to have grip knobs for hand-drilling.

I'm glad you took his question that way too. I almost ignored the question thinking he didn't like our first answers and wanted more opinions. Then I read it again and realized nobody addressed the drill bit itself.

Too funny!

@Tomc938 - I took the time to do a bit of googling. They show up everywhere as drill rasps and drill saws. Here are just two examples:

Screenshot_20220119-064408_Chrome.jpg

None of mine are shiny like that one. They look exactly like these with the same cutting surfaces and a few more.

Screenshot_20220119-064514_Amazon Shopping.jpg