Syil upgrade

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I found a nice upgrade for my syil ex250. This all in one is touch screen, has an SSD and importantly a parallel port. This should be much better than the old office pc I had running this lathe. I installed mach3 ran one part. Everything worked perfectly. I settled on windows Vista because it had drivers for the SSD and the parallel port. I did try windows 10 and windows XP with no luck.

Attachments

• 20240107_170242.jpg
    20240107_170242.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240108_173354.jpg
    20240108_173354.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 19

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
The computer is a cash register from 2015. I intercepted before it got to the electronics recycling depot. This computer has very low spec hardware like a 4 core Celeron 1.99GHz CPU and 4gb of ram. The screen resolution is also very low but mach3 has most of it's inputs as on screen keypad so the touch screen is perfect. The computer was designed to live in a retail environment so the whole base is heavy cast aluminum. The case feels very sturdy. the company is called Poindus. I know if you look on flebay there are many cheap examples of their used hardware.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
OK thanks for the info. Guess I'll start going around to old convenience stores asking if they plan on upgrading their POS terminals anytime soon :D.

Still not ready to start this project, but I'll keep any eye out for bits and pieces until I am. I was planning on a mini PC running linux CNC, but a touchscreen would really be nice, especially an all in one like that.