• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Swedish berema all gear drill press project

I got this drill press in the package deal of my machines.
Has gear box speed controls.
The motor is internal and had unexplained “issues” not sure what or why.
The millwright whom I bought it from had the idea to mount a motor on the top mounting the input gear from the original rotor.
Drill head moves up &down on the post also. Has a MT 2(???) quill.
Solid machine for sure, I don’t have the space or the time to take on another project without risking a nervous breakdown (still trying to get my lathe going)

Attachments

• 72451D9E-58E5-40AE-B9D3-1AFD73756BA6.jpeg
    72451D9E-58E5-40AE-B9D3-1AFD73756BA6.jpeg
    643.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 08415B09-94C0-4DBE-9C89-EB06975B7E63.jpeg
    08415B09-94C0-4DBE-9C89-EB06975B7E63.jpeg
    566.4 KB · Views: 50
  • F112B3D4-E064-4141-83A4-7543732316CF.jpeg
    F112B3D4-E064-4141-83A4-7543732316CF.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 45
  • BF9E0CCB-CBC3-4247-BEE8-DC5B6A1C3A85.jpeg
    BF9E0CCB-CBC3-4247-BEE8-DC5B6A1C3A85.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 45
  • B9CC4DCE-B5C6-4218-9402-FA3FA5806BE6.jpeg
    B9CC4DCE-B5C6-4218-9402-FA3FA5806BE6.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 44

Frcsc6el8

Motor almost certainly was 3 phase and maybe hi/lo 2 speed originally. Rewinding the motor would be very expensive. I have an Swedish Arboga gear head drill press, but the original motor was mounted on top so was fairly easy to change motors. Great drill presses and very powerful at the low speeds. John

Motor almost certainly was 3 phase and maybe hi/lo 2 speed originally. Rewinding the motor would be very expensive. John

not sure about the 3 phase there’s no data plate unfortunately, there are 6 leads on the windings. Hi/lo for sure, looking on line there is actually a decent amount of info including a ‘restoration’ on YouTube even. Pics have a switch on the head, I’ll have to look through the box of extra stuff I got to see if it’s in there.

One of the three circles on top of the phill dress (in pics) lines up with the input shaft. I have a face mount motor the guy figured could be mounted externally to run it.

Craig I’m looking to sell the drill press, didn’t list a price as I’m not really sure it’s value balanced with my desire to clear it out lol. Will find a fair deal with any interested party.

Drill press can be had for free for ant central or west coast millwrights. Premium priority courier only.
shipping not including;)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
That is a nice drill press. Have you taken it to a motor shop? It would be worth getting a quote...maybe be expensive or you might be surprised. the 7.5 hp motor on my DSG went and I was having trouble finding the same form factor replacement and was pleasantly surprised when the rewind was quite a bit less than a new motor. If the rewind was $500 say and the rest of drill in good shape, that would be a heck of a deal.

I'm trying hard not to say I'll take it. Its probably worth over 1500 working, maybe quite a bit more. In pieces, well, it'll depends on how one values their time. For my home shop I work for cheap but for the plant (where I would probably put it) I have view time at a higher cost because it'll divert peoples time and attention away from billable activity

Love the user name btw.
I think your right on the value. I got the feeling when I bought this with all my machines, that the guy felt the most loss over this piece then the mill, he put so much work into.

At first I was going to get it going and sell to recoup some money from the deal since I spent more then I planed.

“ I’m going to fix that “
will be on my tombstone I’m sure. If no one wants it in there life as is, I’ll see if I can find a motor shop to look at the parts and fix it up.
For my little tinker, shop it’s just not really needed. such a cool piece though.

Crankit

I think Steve Summers from YouTube fame just got one(DoAll branded) of these this spring

Skip to 25:20

I think Steve Summers from YouTube fame just got one(DoAll branded) of these this spring

Skip to 25:20

That guy is either really short or that’s a much larger drill press lol.
I’d have to build a base to bring mine up to keep me from hunching over

You guys are temping me to keep it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
just when I was getting interested. I could arrange things, but - I figured someone out there would take it on.

Hey. Been busy. Haven’t been around much.
don’t seem to be getting email notifications
It’s still here haven’t had the time to do anything with it yet

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have same machine (well color is a bit different) same gear box, same handle etc. Motor is 3ph 2 speed. I assume its 240v (220) but it could be also 480 (440). or even 600 (550).

Mine is MT3.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Here is machine motor info plate.
4cbde4c05b0079b2a37edbaf0ab99b4f.jpg

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk