Surface Plate

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A while ago, when I got my T&C Grinder, I had to get get rid of my desk that was in the shop to make room for it. My surface plate (18"x24"), was on top of the desk. With the desk gone, the surface plate was on a moving dollie on the ground. I was going to build a movable cart for the plate to sit on out of lumber, or angle iron, but then I remembered I had a bunch of 80/20 extrusion that I was going to build a custom hifi rack for the home theatre that I was building, which never happened. Oh well!

Any way, the bottom is a 1200lb capacity moving dollie, 3/4" plywood on top of that and 3/4" oak flooring (from the now defunct home theatre) on top of the plywood. The top is 3/4" plywood and more oak flooring.

The surface plate sits on 3 hockey pucks. So now a least I can use the surface plate, move it out of the way when not being used, and have storage (and importantly, ballast so the thing doesn't tip over!)

What I'd like to do is put some sort of jack screws or rubber feet mechanism to prevent it from moving about.

I will also order or make corner gussets to stiffen it up, though the 1.5" x 1.5" extrusion makes everything pretty rigid.

Attachments

• 20231213_111248.jpg
    20231213_111248.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 14
Nice job! looks great! Are you going to make a moveable protective cover for it?

Reminds me of my own new to me surface plate that I hauled home last spring. It is yet another project on my long list. It came with a shop made wheeled cart made out of steel angle. There is some loose 3/8 steel sheet strips across the top that the three surface plate feet rest on. These pieces of steel sheet have bowed under the weight of the surface plate so I am wondering about replacing them and wondering what a better base might look like. I'd also like to add drawers on the cart under the plate to hold associated tools. as well as a protective cover to keep dirt dust and falling objects from hitting the plate when its not in use.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
For a cover I use an old cotton bedsheet. Then on top of that I put a leftover piece of double sided melanin covered 3/4” particle board. Keeps the dust off and protects the granite. Plus I can use the surface as a desk top for sketching and drawing.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice job! looks great! Are you going to make a moveable protective cover for it?

Reminds me of my own new to me surface plate that I hauled home last spring. It is yet another project on my long list. It came with a shop made wheeled cart made out of steel angle. There is some loose 3/8 steel sheet strips across the top that the three surface plate feet rest on. These pieces of steel sheet have bowed under the weight of the surface plate so I am wondering about replacing them and wondering what a better base might look like. I'd also like to add drawers on the cart under the plate to hold associated tools. as well as a protective cover to keep dirt dust and falling objects from hitting the plate when its not in use.
Yes, I plan on making a cover for it. Before, I had some felt that covered it, but the surface plate still felt gritty after taking the felt cover off. Maybe it just needed to be thrown in the washer (the cover not the surface plate!)

I have a bunch of leather I plan on trying out.

I would have loved to put the surface plate on top of a good mechanics bottom tool chest. But.....you know.....money!!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice job. I would love to have a dedicated spot for my 18x24 that doesn't collect stuff someday. Just no room for it yet. Something like yours, but with room for my height gauges on the bottom, and a small toolbox for all my measurement tools.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, I plan on making a cover for it. Before, I had some felt that covered it, but the surface plate still felt gritty after taking the felt cover off. Maybe it just needed to be thrown in the washer (the cover not the surface plate!)

I have a bunch of leather I plan on trying out.

I would have loved to put the surface plate on top of a good mechanics bottom tool chest. But.....you know.....money!!
I've used toolbox drawer liner as a cover for my surface plate. Easy to roll up and store when using the plate.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For a cover I use an old cotton bedsheet. Then on top of that I put a leftover piece of double sided melanin covered 3/4” particle board. Keeps the dust off and protects the granite. Plus I can use the surface as a desk top for sketching and drawing.

I like this.

I've been using a piece of thin plastic roll-out cutting board/sheet. But I worry about stuff embedding in the plastic.

I think you are wise to choose something soft and then put a hard board over that.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If the sheet gets soiled for whatever reason I just launder it. Back in business.

I’ve had drawer liner material stick to the drawers over time - that’s why I decided not to use it on the surface place. I was considering it though…

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member