• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Surface Plate Marketplace Find

WRebuild

I've been casually searching for a granite surface plate that was reasonably priced for my needs. I had been considering a few brand new 2' x 3' surface plates, but I hesitated to opt for a cheaper Grade B quality. However, last week I stumbled upon this awesome find on Marketplace that I couldn't resist. It's a massive 10-inch thick plate, and although I wasn't initially aware of the brand, upon inspection, it turned out to be a Starrett Grade AA—a delightful surprise! Now, I'm thrilled with my purchase and eager to set it up, give it a thorough cleaning, and after resting for a few weeks I will check its true flatness.

For those curious, the plate measures 38" x 65" x 10" and likely weighs around 3000lbs, more or less.

Do any of you also work with surface plates? Any suggestions for removing light stains from the sides during cleaning?

Attachments

• IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    612.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 31
Granite Surface Plate Cleaning

Suburban Tool also has some good videos about setting up and checking for flatness.

Oh, and @Susquatch is correct!
Thank you so much! I will definitely look into this video and collect some ideas. It's larger and heavier than I actually need it to be, but I'm not complaining :D

Looks ready for some Egyptian hieroglyphics... like this in Italy's Popolo Piazzo.

340px-Rome-Piazza_del_Popolo-Obélisque_et_églises_Santa_Maria.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 8.25.46 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 8.25.46 PM.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 4
It probably says “ This end up “.
Yup. Made in Egypt by union members - the united granite workers of the ancient world. GVW 250 metric tons. Fragile do not drop. Twenty five hundred people required to move safely. And of course 42. :cool:

Back