• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Surface Grinder Victoria $950

Birkhoff

Does anybody know about this machine? It seems to have a pretty unique table-ways setup, with bearings instead of gibs.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Does anybody know about this machine? It seems to have a pretty unique table-ways setup, with bearings instead of gibs.
There are a few makes of surface grinders that have rollers instead of V-ways. My Parker Majestic had V-ways I want to say that Harig might have rollers but I can’t really say with certainty. Not aware of this particular make but I’m not a surface grinder authority.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I'm no surface grinder expert, but I do have one and I'm learning.

Pretty sure that's what that machine is.

Removing the table is pretty much standard procedure when moving them.

I think the label says "Reid Brothers". Reid Brothers made Surface Grinders.

Whoever used it knew enough to remove the table. I'd give high odds that the machine is in good shape.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Roller tables for surface grinders is very common in most modern grinders. Thye are more accurate, more durable, and easier to maintain. A Reid for 800$!!!! What is wrong with it? it should be over 1500$, easy - if it works okay,.

Cautionary note: only inspect a SG under power. If the headstock bearings are done, think somewhere 2000$ for the bearings themselves.