• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Surface grinder vertical DOC specs

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Newby question. I was just curious about surface grinders vertical dial increment (depth of cut) on typical offshore machines. Just pulled Grizzly as example. According to the feature sheet docs, the smaller one on left = 0.001, the spendy one on right is 0.0001-0.0002". Does 0.001" sound right? That sounds rather course unless there is some independent tenths reading dial? What is the typical norm for old school USA or Euro iron?

Attachments

• SNAG- 1-6-2021 000.jpg
    SNAG- 1-6-2021 000.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 14

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
On my SG there are to wheels both for down / up and for forward back. The coarse wheel advances 0.001 and the fine wheels divide this by 10 so you can adjust by just 0.0001. This way I can quickly move the head up and down - I think one full movement is like 250 or more and when I get there I can switch to "fine tune" mode.

Chipper5783

My Ingar has graduation on the vertical handwheel of 0.0005". They are spaced far enough apart that it is easy to split that in half again. Hitting 0.0001" reliably right off the dial would be a trick. I can work it out to 0.0002" (that is about the limit of what I can reliably measure anyway).

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@PeterT while the above responses are helpful about typical SGs, this particular unit is graduated in .001, not .0001.

You can reasonably split the .001 into about thirds by being careful, (As @Chipper5783 suggests) but there is no vernier or multiplier dial. This is a good indication that it isn't a high quality or super accurate machine. With huge savings over the more accurate one, it speaks to setting a lower expectation.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks Dabbler. I never really looked hard at these entry level grinders, was just curious. I just 'assumed'.... often a dangerous proposition with some of these machines.
Maybe installing an accurate secondary dial is a possibility, but without knowing much more feels bit of kludgey trying to compensate for coarse leadscrew/gearing.
I'll have to check out some parts manuals, now my interest is kind of peaked how this is achieved on the big boy machines.

Chipper5783

PeterT, do you have a surface grinder? What sort of results are you getting?

An important aspect of surface grinding (and nearly every other aspect of work shop activity) is the skill of the operator. A capable operator, working with that "entry level grinder" can produce excellent results. Give that same person a really good grinder and the results may only be slightly better, but they'll be able to accomplish it faster. Provide that same high end surface grinder to a rookie - and the results probably won't be much better than if they had a POS grinder. Like everything else we do, grinding is somewhat of an art.

100-200 years ago, people were achieving incredible results using equipment and tool that were vastly inferior to the cheapest tools that we have today - there was a greater reliance on the skill of the person and they spent a lot more time.

My SG is nothing special, but there is no doubt that the skill of the operator is the #1 short coming.

The graduation of 0.001" or 0.0001" really isn't that a big deal (a good hand, and suitable support equipment for precise measuring could probably turn out tenth results all day).

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
No, I don't have a surface grinder. I suppose I could add it to my 'one day' list.... along with TIG welder, heat treat oven .... you get the idea. HaHa. I'm sure its like many things, once you have one, you find more uses & wonder how you did without. But on a realistic personal need basis for projects in my immediate que, there are probably other priorities & no free time to commit to a refurb project even if it was a good deal. I've watched a lot of YouTubes on them, mostly old school iron.

Bbk_Bbk

Man I use a boost Schultz 612, but I converted it to run 2x72” belts as my grinder all run. When I’m doing removal with an 80 grout ceramic belt .010 is a light cut. I can hog off about .018 before noticing any strain on the 1hp 220v motor. But back to your question, with a properly dressed stone, on these small grinder you can easily remove .002 per pass, with the right set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbk_Bbk

Sure!! I kinda threw it together with parts I had kicking around but it works like a treat!

Bbk_Bbk

Sure!! I kinda threw it together with parts I had kicking around but it works like a treat!

770f349492e1424d9d4e3c9fa1e3cb22.jpg

Bbk_Bbk

Gosh, I’m having a hell of a time. I had a buddy make me a 5” 90 durrometer wheel with the matching inner bore to mate with the grinder’s original stone wheel bore. You really need to use a super hard wheel for this application. 70 durrometer is just too soft and will not give you the results your after.