Surface grind table

trevj

Ultra Member
@trevj We agree 100% on the second point, which I tried to make above.

However, on the first point we must differ. Firstly, the head does not have a ram, so you could use a 2" face mill and still not reach the corners and ends of the table. This is why it HAS to be fly cut. it will need around a 4-5" swing on the fly cutter to reach the corners of the table. That was what I measured when rotating my head with my version of this mill. With a 4" fly cutter you have to take care for the tram, which isn't hard, and is good practice anyways, perhaps even 'best practice'. The step over idea is a great one - but it shouldn't be used as a substitute for tramming your mill.
Actually, it is not a substitute at all, tramming is both a useful skill to have, and a 'good' thing for the mill head to be.

But it also is a result of the years of experience that come from trying to take parts off the table with the very best surface finishes possible, which, sometimes, is recognizing that in one direction of feed, over the others, you get a superior finish, and being ever so slightly OUT of tram, can actually become a useful contributor to that.

Just another tool in the toolbox! :)

In all honesty, I like my last suggestion best, just cover it so you cannot see it! Otherwise, either find a large mill (to use), or a new one (to replace the chunked up one!).

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What about using ductwork galvanized sheet? I mean just as a cover. To keep the swarf out. It’s light, shouldn’t rust. Bend to fit and wrap over the edges?

I've given this a lot of thought John.

I thought a wee bit about dissimilar metals, but abandoned that whole assessment when I realized that it isn't just about protecting the bed of my mill. I like to put sharp stuff down on something that won't damage the edges. Same goes for delicate instruments and gauge blocks.

Yup, no metal cover for me.

I am going to give some thought to a plastic and wood sheet sandwich though...... Might be best if all worlds!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think maybe corrugated plastic is not good. When hot chips land they get stuck and are the fumes toxic?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think maybe corrugated plastic is not good. When hot chips land they get stuck and are the fumes toxic?

Maybe so. Certainly the stuck chips. At my age I'm not worried about health hazards much.

Either way, that's why I LOVE the idea of bonding the plastic to the bottom of some cabinet grade plywood! Best of both worlds!