• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Suggestions on what to offer for large pipe being sold from someone’s backyard

EliseLCR

Hi everyone :) this may seem like a silly question, at least a vague one, but it ain’t gonna hurt me to ask I figure.

I’ve found 2 different people selling large diameter pipe (24” - 48”) in various lengths.

The only use for pipe this size is I currently have is making custom fire pits, so right now I only need a few chunks of 36”, under 2’ long.
STILL, down the road I am positive I would get a lot of use from longer lengths of any of these pipe sizes, for various projects. Even if I just made more pits!

So after all my bla bla bla-ing there, my question is this: do any of you have an idea of where to start when figuring out an offer on pipe like this? Any experience buying “second-hand” pipe off a local ad?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I’d consider what scrap steel is worth, versus what new steel is worth.
If they need to get rid of it versus if they just want to sell leftovers
Lots of variables

Personally I’ve thrown out some perfectly good firepit chunks because I just didn’t want them around anymore. So, I would’ve given them gladly for free to a good home

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
calculate the mass for the chunk and then what you would be willing to pay per pound. New steel at federal metals is around $.80 to 1.50 per pound depending on what it is and how popular it is. It can vary quite a bit. I’m not sure what scrap is worth which is what you would get and hauling it is worth something too. Anybody drop off any metal for recycling lately?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
If you have an idea of what you can sell a pit for, you can back calculate what you can afford to pay.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
If the seller is not a business smile and politely ask if their giving it away? Or if you can haul it away for them? No harm in asking and at the very least you'll set the price expectation low!. My view is that it's up to the seller to set an asking price. If they won't do that your free to offer very little. Max price would be scrap value!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
There is a Pile Driving contractor along Hiway 2 just west of Ponoka (might be one at Rocky or Red Deer as well) that has tons of pipe-cut-off's that are the size you are looking for.

A big box of Timmies goodies might just get you access to their scrap bin. Last street price I heard for scrap steel was around $40 a ton so they don't get much for it when they sell it back into the system.