• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Suggestions on a MT3 taper tailstock threading die holder?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Here is another couple projects to compliment the die holder. Both very similar. I built Tubal Cains but Quinn also does one. I use this tool a lot! Drill press, milling machine and lathe.
Thanks @ShawnR I made sort of a mini tap follower couple of years back, great project tool wouldn't be without mine.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I felt inspired by the simplicity of this tap follower, so I started on one last night. Body take 1 is done, and I'll probably throw it out and re-do it as 12mm instead of 1/2in, as i have a 12mm reamer arriving before friday, but didn't want to cough up for the 1/2in reamer.
For the flat on the point I think I'll drop the stock on my face plate and treat it like a combination of internal cutting and facing, as I don't have a mill. Probably time for me to start one of these journal threads...

I don't have any reamers so I drill the hole first, then turn the rod for the fit I want. When the parts will stay together, ie, not need to be universal or a standard size, it works for me.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Lame old Dusty 's been at it again so allow me to introduce you to the cute die sisters, perhaps read my posts # 13 & 17 first. From a 5" x 2 & 1/4" chunk of old rusty cold rolled to chubby sister, somewhat tiring although fun being out in my shop again. Here you have my drawing for both sisters more-or-less from start to finish. One takes 1" diameter dies the other 1 & 1/2" dies. The nub end in my third photo is so my 5C collet holds it correctly in my mill. Photo four shows holes drilled with threads plus deburring and nub parted off. Yes I used four #10-24 x 1/2" & 5/16" long cap screws makes for easier die change out/handling and doesn't interfere with over-all operation. Tommy bar and shaft fits both holders which reduces tool box clutter.

Hope this helps someone else with die holders on their mind, if I can do it anyone can. Just saying!

Should any member want a copy of my drawing simply pm me with your @ address.

Attachments

• img070.jpg
    img070.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220405_082009_HDR.jpg
    20220405_082009_HDR.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220405_141703.jpg
    20220405_141703.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220407_134639_HDR.jpg
    20220407_134639_HDR.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220409_125929_HDR.jpg
    20220409_125929_HDR.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220410_112606.jpg
    20220410_112606.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
NICE! What did you use to blacken the holders?

Hey Craig, I use Berchwood Casey Super Blue (cold blue) and my 90 ml bottle must be 5 or so years old and still going strong. Not perfect by any means although I believe it adds a professional touch to one's projects. The key secret is to ensure you project is clean of all oils with a degreaser and just when you think it's clean enough wipe it down again with the degreaser. Cheapest and most effective degreaser I've found is a 150 ml of Gas Line Anti-Freeze my name brand just happens to be Sonic from Co-op petroleum products. Not affiliated with Berchwood Casey or the Co-op. Bottom line one doesn't need to purchase same it in large quantities to die on the shelf. Keep the cost low so the great-grand kids get it. LOL

Perhaps @6.5 Fan can suggest a better off the shelf bluing product.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The stuff i was using is all gone and not available any more, a different product is available from a canadian outfit that escapes me right now. Will have to root around for a name. Nice die holders Dusty

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Cheapest and most effective degreaser I've found is a 150 ml of Gas Line Anti-Freeze my name brand just happens to be Sonic from Co-op petroleum products.

Bill, my experience with gas line anti-freeze is its mostly methanol, but can have some other minor additives in there for other purposes that are a little but oily based. I keep a spritz bottle of methanol on my bench all the time. Its quite inexpensive especially at paint stores. Makes Dykem & felt pen go bye-bye instantly. What's interesting is when I soak a part in my low odor paint thinner which removes bulk of grease & oil. But then transfer the same part to methanol, you can see little encapsulated oil bubbles (ie. seems like further oil removal). Some solvents thin/reduce oils so the mix is miscible, others have some magical power to flip the two. I find WD-40 does this with certain lapping compounds. Acetone is pretty good as a pre-blacken solvent too, evaporates very quickly. I might be off base. I'm more of a trial & error Alchemist LOL.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
@ShawnR to expand on Shawn's post #19 re: tubalcain's tap follower videos complete with detailed drawings. You will note tubalcain speaks to the compression spring having 80 gram strength. Hopefully this will help someone planning on making a tap follower.

Attachments

• TapFollower1.png
    TapFollower1.png
    456.4 KB · Views: 7
  • TapFollower2.png
    TapFollower2.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 7
  • TapFollower3.png
    TapFollower3.png
    298.5 KB · Views: 7