• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Stuck spindle gear

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I need to adjust the spindle bearings on my Clausing.
I checked the drawings and it seems to only be keyed onto the shaft, no grub screw to be found.
Rented a gear puller and had a go. Tightened as much as I felt comfortable and no luck. Didn't budge.
I applied some heat with a propane torch and no difference.
I'll apply some Kroil and see what happens.
Any suggestions I can try?

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 11.07.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 11.05.09 AM.png

curmudgeon

(Steve)
Is there room for a bearing splitter, or similar home made wedge device, to fit between the gear and the take up nut?

curmudgeon

(Steve)
Got it to move!
giphy.gif

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
One problem was that the arms on the puller are very similar in shape end for end but not exactly the same. One arm was the wrong way around but it looked the same as the other two arms. Flipped that arm around and snugged everything up to remove the slop.
Stuck it back on and cranked it down. Heard the tell tale creak of movement and got it to move 1/8". Then it ran into the spacer the puller was pushing against. Now I need to make a better spacer...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Now I need to make a better spacer...

How many times have I had to do that! Just keep at it!

One sorta obvious tip, when you run out of room on the spacer, don't just put another one on top of it, make a whole new one but make it so it stacks. That way you can combine the new and old ones for the next go, and so on. Way less machining to get the job done.