Stuck chuck on Atlas lathe

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow, I’d have thought that would have cracked it loose for sure.
I wonder if some judicious heat into the chuck bore would help. Maybe a heat gun? Something to get an expansion/contraction cycle going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Well I tried again today, a 3” section of 3/4 joiner nut in the chuck and a internal pipe wrench with a breaker braced against the base in the other end of the spindle. Then used a 1/2” impact on the joiner. No luck.

It’s a really old lathe that came from a farm, had bird leavings on it so I assume it wasn’t a dry heated shop. I suspect it was put together dry decades ago and has Mother Nature’s loctite in the threads now.

I’m pretty familiar wth getting stubborn stuff apart as I run a heavy truck shop, but I’m trying to be gentle here. It’s soaking in penetrating oil now, I’ll spray it down regularly for a bit and try again.

If it was a truck part I would have counted to ten with the 3/4 gun rattling, then reached for the sparkle wrench if it wasn’t moving or broken off yet. But I don’t think that would have been productive here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I drive heavy truck and try to fix my own junk as much as I can
I seem to break stuff faster than I can fix if though

francist

Super User
know what the Zamak does when it’s heated and cooled?
Zamak has a pretty good expansion rate (ie:fast) as you probably have already experienced. Many of the v-belt pulleys we think of as aluminum are actually Zamak, and you know that it doesn’t take much to get them on or off a snug shaft. However, a word of caution: Zamak will melt at around 700F, so go gentle.

edit: here’s what will happen if you exceed that magic temperature...

B43AAE5E-3222-4602-8710-9A8AFFB0A012.jpeg

The gear is from a fire salvaged Craftsman I rebuilt. I could tell from which direction the fire came by how the Zamak parts reacted. Some were mint, some not so much, and some were just vaporized. Pretty wild, eh?

Last edited:

trlvn

Ultra Member
To summarize:

talking.jpg

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Two ways I can see to tackle this, one is foolproof but you will need to by a new backing plate...the other will work also but has the potential to mar up the spindle or a gear...

The first is to unbolt the chuck body from the backing plate and machine the backing plate off the spindle. B-plates of that nature should be very inexpensive & easily sourced...a forum member might even have on kicking around somewhere.

The second method... Kind of like manualy removing a yolk nut from a pinion shaft on a set of 46,000 lb rears, a 12 foot snipe with 2 grown men jumping on the end of it LOL. I would remove the chuck body also so it isn't being "torqued" with pressure. Bolt a substantial piece of 1/2' thick flat bar to the bolt holes in the b-plate at least 3 ft long. Rig up the same pipe wrench set up you were using before only this time, mesh up the two stoutest gears in the gearbox and lay a piece of dowel into the gear notch where they join ,essentially locking them up. Now put a long pipe snipe on the flat bar and steadily add an increase in pressure (do not "shock load" the pressure") until the b-plate starts to unscrew or the gear train at the lockup spot starts to show excessive flex or strain...if the later shows first return to idea # 1...its your only solution.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If the 4lb microadjuster doesn't work,,,,,,,, get a bigger one:D
Getting to physical could sheer the lock pin or break the bull gear and/or pulley. I know,,,, stating the obvious.

Another thing I tried was freeze spray in the spindle and the bit of heat on the back plate with no success. I don't think the spray got a deep enough soak on the spindle.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Given how tight it is, I wouldn’t recommend using the gear train to lock it. Get or fabricate a strap wrench.

Back plates aren’t that cheap but they’re cheaper than a wrecked bull gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GrayTech

Just a heads up that anti seize works way better than oil on spindle threads. Its used on muzzle loader threaded breech plugs, which is where I got the idea. Never again have I struggled to get my chuck off.

You might try chucking up a piece of hex stock as large as the chuck bore, deeper than the jaws, lock the spindle and use an impact driver. I recently bent a wheel spanner trying to loosen stuck wheel nuts, an impact popped them off effortlessly. I was amazed.