• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tool Stubby Drill Bits

Tool

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I've been looking for a set of stubby bits for drilling threading holes. I'm getting tired of standard bits wandering when drilling and think stubbies would be better. The problem is that no one (that I've found) sells a set of stubby bits for threading holes. I talked to @SkookumRob but he only sells in packages of 6 and 12 bits for the sizes I'm looking at. So that means I would end up with up to 12 sets of bits.

Attached is the list and prices of the bits I'm interested in.

If there are 11 members who be interested in this set of bits it will be about $90 shipped. I know this isn't cheap but having the more ridgid bits for drilling/tapping in one place will be handy.

DM me if interested.

Attachments

Amazon has A-Z, 1/16-1/2 & 1-60 Cobalt sets; if you’re looking at Stubby/Screw Machine length bits it would be worth considering getting a full complement.

@YYCHM - I see KBC also sells the bits individually so I'll check them out as well. I don't have a free shipping offer yet but I'll still price them out. Thanks

@ChazzC - I've looked at the full sets but then I'm spending $400-500 on bits that 75% of them will never get used. I lie, they'll get used when the others get dull and I'm being lazy about sharpening. Thanks to the thought.

@DavidR8 - If there's not enough interest in the sets from the forum and I go the KBC route are you still interested even with the shipping cost?

if you happen to have multiples of the tap hole size ones
Good day sir, it's been a while. I hope all are safe and well in your world.
And there lies the other problem, I don't have multiples so if I have to buy bits I may as well buy the short ones.

Attached is the list and prices of the bits I'm interested in.

The trouble with a specific size set is all those times when you thread in cast iron or stainless or aluminium or or or and you need a different hole size for the same thread. In different materials and applications, I might use 5 different drills for the same tap size. It's nice to be able to use metric or letter drills to make the perfect size hole for the application.

I assume the skookum bits are high quality jobber bits. For the odd application I'm not sure that's needed.

The other thing I wonder about is the real need for stubbies. Ever since I started using carbide spotting drills, I find that the long drills don't wander anymore. I think one good spotting drill would do wonders for the problem.

Anyway, just my two cents for the meazly(Sp?) 2 cents its worth.

@YYCHM - I see KBC also sells the bits individually so I'll check them out as well. I don't have a free shipping offer yet but I'll still price them out. Thanks

@ChazzC - I've looked at the full sets but then I'm spending $400-500 on bits that 75% of them will never get used. I lie, they'll get used when the others get dull and I'm being lazy about sharpening. Thanks to the thought.

@DavidR8 - If there's not enough interest in the sets from the forum and I go the KBC route are you still interested even with the shipping cost?
Maybe? It depends on the final cost.
I have some excellent bits from Drill Hog.

I have a small set (qty=12, 1/8-1/2") of screw length from DrillHog and they do work much better than jobber for situations like this. I think they sell a full set.

I inquired about a screw length metric set not long ago and they don't offer them in metric. Seems like a bit of a void in the market for affordable quality screw length sets. I wonder how good or bad the KBC set is?

Maybe? It depends on the final cost.
My screw machine (stubby) sets are M42 Drill America, supposedly made in USA. And while I have jobber length HSS letter, fractional & number sets from Craftsman & Precision dating back to the early 80’s, my daily use is a 115 pc set of HF M35 jobber length that I got on sale ten years ago and have held up very well (a couple of years ago they had a sale plus 20% coupon so I picked up a spare set); I’m strictly hobbyist so am happy with my choices.

The other thing I wonder about is the real need for stubbies. Ever since I started using carbide spotting drills, I find that the long drills don't wander anymore. I think one good spotting drill would do wonders for the problem.
I like the screw machine length as you don’t need the extra step of a spotting drill (and the screw machine bits are shorter than the spotting drill).

I just looked at DrillHog, they have a fractional/letter/number set on sale for about 40% off, that brings the price down from just over $1k to just over $600,,,,,, and that's USD. At that price I think I'll get two!

Stubby's can wander too, even the good ones with tertiary relief. Just not as much as regular drills. I've seen some CNC videos & they sometimes do kind of a rapid peck routine before plunging. Time & non-spec parts is money for them so I suspect there must be a reason for this.

BTW they are typically 135-deg points so if you ever DO want to spot with one of these, you ideally want 135-deg+ spot drill which is a rarer animal to find. And when you find it, it will cost more than 120-deg because they just aren't as common. BTW I have the KBC set & despite the cheesy case, the drills are fantastic. But man, I swear the price has doubled.

I have a small set (qty=12, 1/8-1/2") of screw length from DrillHog and they do work much better than jobber for situations like this. I think they sell a full set.

Yes, they do. I was this (IYI) close to buying a full set when they were on sale. But I've come to like buying dormers one at a time as needed. They are perfect for my needs.

I bought a 3-in-1 stub drill set in a Huot index, $150 on CL from a retiring machinst. Worth every penny, I use stub drills more than jobbers.

I just looked at DrillHog, they have a fractional/letter/number set on sale for about 40% off, that brings the price down from just over $1k to just over $600,,,,,, and that's USD. At that price I think I'll get two!
My Drill America Sets (https://a.co/d/79k988c , https://a.co/d/0biMk2f & https://a.co/d/2xug6ve) cost a lot less than that ($US 370 in 2021, $US 390 now – including tax, free Prime; the A–Z set went up 11%, the others a little less). I know Drill Hog guarantees for life, IIRC you pay shipping to them (they want the pieces) and James (Clough42) had a detailed video with (SEM details) about one that shaped in two.

Great chat and options for drill bits.... Yes the ones that Mike is referring to are a high quality Morse brand (Made in USA) and are typically sold into production applications.

I do have available a wide variety of sets in a number of quality ranges:

ProCut - Import
Rapidkut - USA Generic
Morse, Precision Twist, Chicago-Latrobe - Premium

For reference here is a PDF of some sets I can access (the catalogue is a little dated so some may not be available) Most of these are not listed on my web site, so if you are interested in any of them, just reach out and I'll get you a price and availability.

Attachments

Back