• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Straight edge ethical question

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am wondering if this will get me banned from this board.....:eek:

I have a 36 inch SPI straight edge I bought several years ago.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/d...&pxno=68905948&refnum=68905948&rItem=02674034

I had an old lathe with worn ways and I thought I might try to fix it up but further research showed me that it was just a bad investment and I sold it. In hindsight, for what I got for it (and lost on it) I should have kept the chucks and and all...but lesson learned ...

So I now have this nice straight edge I don't really need. Not worth much on the used market. Maybe $100 bucks as I had it advertised on Kijiji but the market here is small. Watching videos on tramming, thisoldtony used straight edges at either end of his table to reference instead of going off the table. Not sure if that is necessary but one use for them. Seems to make sense...?

So I am wondering if it might be more handy to cut it up o_O
I am thinking a 6", 12" and 18" straight edge might be more practical for a small home shop. It just seems wrong...but sometimes it is a mind shift to accept what we do not want to...

So what do you think?
What would you do?
Will I be banned from this board for disrespecting a precision tool?
If I cut carefully, ie, not too aggressively, will it be ok? I am thinking a zip disc.

Sheepishly,
Shawn

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/d...&pxno=68905948&refnum=68905948&rItem=02674034

I had an old lathe with worn ways and I thought I might try to fix it up but further research showed me that it was just a bad investment and I sold it. In hindsight, for what I got for it (and lost on it) I should have kept the chucks and and all...but lesson learned ...

So I now have this nice straight edge I don't really need. Not worth much on the used market. Maybe $100 bucks as I had it advertised on Kijiji but the market here is small. Watching videos on tramming, thisoldtony used straight edges at either end of his table to reference instead of going off the table. Not sure if that is necessary but one use for them. Seems to make sense...?

I am thinking a 6", 12" and 18" straight edge might be more practical for a small home shop. It just seems wrong...but sometimes it is a mind shift to accept what we do not want to...

So what do you think?
What would you do?
If I cut carefully, ie, not too aggressively, will it be ok? I am thinking a zip disc.

Sheepishly,
Shawn

@ShawnR, Although I have no requirement for a 36" straight edge I would suggest the realistic value is with maintaining same in one piece.
If it were mine I would not (underscore not) cut it up. Understand it comes out of India, any idea of the weight involved???

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member

So what do you think?
What would you do?

Sheepishly,
Shawn
A tool is worthless if you can't use it, and if you can't even turn into a $100 by selling it, I'd say go ahead and re-purpose it into smaller lengths. It sounds like you have a use for the smaller segments. I'd cut and then grind /file the edges.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A tool is worthless if you can't use it, and if you can't even turn into a $100 by selling it, I'd say go ahead and re-purpose it into smaller lengths. It sounds like you have a use for the smaller segments. I'd cut and then grind /file the edges.

Yea, that is my reasoning. Nice tool if you have a need for it. Does anyone use straight edges often? I don't know what I don't know and the only use I have seen so far is that tony video. I don't know what other uses a hobby shop would have for them. Obviously, anytime you need a real accurate picture of a surface I guess....cylinder head?

I keep moving this thing around my shop figuring I need to do something with it. Use it or lose it....:confused:

BMW Rider

Super User
You may want to try marketing it to woodworkers. I have a 36" straight edge that I use to periodically check or adjust the alignment of my jointer tables as do others I know of.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Go For it and then write up a thread on making useful parallels out of this bar you found in the shop that seemed very accurate for some odd reason :)

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Absolutely! Cut it up..... I just spent $500 to get a 24” Camelback straightedge. Albeit the Camelback is pristine and has been scraped perfectly flat on an A grade surface plate. I sold an old Atlas 36 inch bed a couple of years ago to get it out of my shop..... only to get the suggestion literally 2 weeks later when inquiring about a straight edge that cutting on old lathe bed was the way to go. So I say, cut away. Learn to scrape in the short one and move to the longer one. Make 2, a 30 inch and the remainder as the other so long as it’s not shorter than 10 inches(I don’t recall the total length you mentioned). That said.... I will gladly pay the $100 plus shipping and will cut it up. I’ll even post pictures and will power up the Biax and scrape it in myself, just to learn/practice. PM me if you want to go that direction, lol.

Cheers,

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I will probably cut it into more usable sizes, after more thinking and internal debating....making deals with the devil, etc...I will have a little ceremony...

Sorry @Dusty ..I hear you...but the cutters win over the savers, this time...

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• 20210212_144446.jpg
    20210212_144446.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 20

TOBARApprentice

Super User
A guy here in Ontario on Kijiji. He has 2 more. A 24” x 4” and a 48” x 2”. He’s a good guy. His name is Matt. Search Kijiji for Camelback Straight Edge. The prices are high, but shoot him an offer. You never know, right? He doesn’t respond well to lowball offers though. I’ve bought from him in the past, and we’ve had that discussion, but if you are serious and looking his stuff is “top notch” and worth the asking price imho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I searched Hijiji [Canada] for Camelback Straight edge and got no results. I missed out on a 36" from Idaho b/c of very high shipping costs: they are 3X what they were 2 years ago - I know the border doesn't help the shipping cost....

Do you mind throwing up a link or other contact for him?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There were a ton of straight edges sold on auction in Edmonton for more or less scrap $$$ about 3 months ago. My experience on Indian made stuff tells me this straight edge may not be as straight as specified - only few items from India I ever saw were even close to China in quality. I would certainly not pay $100 for one. You can cut it up into smaller pieces but I find smaller ones of less use - especially anything under 12".

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
There were a ton of straight edges sold on auction in Edmonton for more or less scrap $$$ about 3 months ago.

OMG I'd have bought a number of them! they can always be scraped in - how about letting us know if any straight edges come available again?

--I like the Windy Hill Foundry blanks but with shipping they are very pricey per inch. I have talked with the owner several times about his fees, etc and he is a great guy.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
They came in lots of sometimes 10 straight edges. I should have just gotten a lot and then resold to the group... I think 10 went for like 400-500. Nice ones with a large box to keep them safe. Some of them come up on sale from time to time -single units being re-sold. I let you know if I see them.