• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Steel Lathe -House Of tools : Model ML-1440 GH

Jakester

Hello All,

I am just looking for some information on what a "Steel Lathe - House Of tools : Model ML-1440 GH" may be worth these days.

I have found limited information on this particular make and model.

The condition appears excellent with no rust or missing parts evident. Everything is in working order with lots of parts/heads/tooling.

Any help or information/Reference/guidance would be greatly apricated as my knowledge on this subject is limited.

Kind regards.
Jakester

Attachments

• Lathe Picture.jpg
    Lathe Picture.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 34
A large portion of potential value depends strictly on where you are located. Prices will be lower in Ont/Que and rise much higher in Ab/Sk.

That is a newer model of my lathe (small levers on mine instead of the dials to make some of the operational changes) and this one has the splash panel removed and is sitting on a home made bench instead of the factory option stand that was available. This one looks very well cared for and not used a bunch.

Mine was $3600 retail in mid 90's...If I were looking for a very usable lathe for hobby purposes I would no be bashful paying what this one was new close to 20n yrs ago.

The GH model is older, and doesn't have some of the features of the C0636... Tooling affects cost. Spindle type has a role.

If it was the D3 camlock with the 1.750 through hole, steady and follow, 3 and 4j chucks, both chuck keys, 4way toolpost, with at least 1 cutter, under power, with a test cut in steel as acceptable, about 3200 to 3600 if it is in near perfect condition.

Rust, missing elements, abnormal play in the cross slide and compound ways, all detract from the price. screw on chucks, missing change gears and missing thread dial all take away from the price. a QCTP adds a little, but only a little unless there's a bucket load of holders.

The tailstock has to be free spinning, with a clean MT bore

my 2cents, I hope this helps.

The GH model is older, and doesn't have some of the features of the C0636... Tooling affects cost. Spindle type has a role.

If it was the D3 camlock with the 1.750 through hole, steady and follow, 3 and 4j chucks, both chuck keys, 4way toolpost, with at least 1 cutter, under power, with a test cut in steel as acceptable, about 3200 to 3600 if it is in near perfect condition.

Rust, missing elements, abnormal play in the cross slide and compound ways, all detract from the price. screw on chucks, missing change gears and missing thread dial all take away from the price. a QCTP adds a little, but only a little unless there's a bucket load of holders.

Thank you very much.
Any information helps and that is a pile of info. I have a machinist friend coming to have a look to help me assess it and the above will be useful to say the least.
In addition the the machine I have a pile of round bar. Mixtures of 1/4 inch to 4 inch looks to be carbon steel, ss and brass.

Thank you very much.
Any information helps and that is a pile of info. I have a machinist friend coming to have a look to help me assess it and the above will be useful to say the least.
In addition the the machine I have a pile of round bar. Mixtures of 1/4 inch to 4 inch looks to be carbon steel, ss and brass.

That is a newer model of my lathe (small levers on mine instead of the dials to make some of the operational changes) and this one has the splash panel removed and is sitting on a home made bench instead of the factory option stand that was available. This one looks very well cared for and not used a bunch.

Mine was $3600 retail in mid 90's...If I were looking for a very usable lathe for hobby purposes I would no be bashful paying what this one was new close to 20n yrs ago.
Thank you for the insight and taking the time to reply.
I was trying to find a year on it but I have not found one yet.
I agree it appears well taking care of, gramps was a machinist.

Back