• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Steel Cutting in Slow Motion

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This video shows how various steels behave when cut with HSS tooling. One can really see the clearance behind the tool. One can also see how the steel “piles up” right at the nose radius and how far ahead of the tool the material starts to deform before it is finally sheared off. Also note how some material gets pushed under the cutting edge and jams between the part and the tool.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
100sfm? Chip thickness perhaps 0.005”? Slow motion of course. Funny the cutting edge does not seem to be cutting much. Interesting Rudy.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I was somewhat surprised at that as well. It does however match very closely with what happens in aerodynamics/fluid dynamics when a body moves through a fluid. There is a small area where the fluid just “piles up” and does not move at the leading edge.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
That is absolutely fascinating. Take away the cutting tool and it looks like those geology films about fault planes and mountain ranges forming. What I couldn't take my eyes off of was how the metal ahead of the tool would deform prior to shearing.

The world at that scale is a pretty cool place. I get why the music was chosen.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I recall similar videos but have no idea where I stumbled on them Showed some of the chip breaker profiles in action. Even a simple harmless looking dot on the carbide kind of interrupted the snow plow effect just the right way so the chip kind of deflected & broke itself. You can kind of understand why certain speeds & feeds ranges are necessary for these conditions. There's another video that shows end mill cutters with the new-ish? variable tooth geometry. Again it kind of makes sense when you see at magnified & slowed time scale. In normal mode its just a shower of chips.