• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Starting end mills

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
So I've got a bunch of stuff inching towards me and my new to me mill but am not real sure what to start with for cutting tools.
I've been watching Blondihacks' mill series and that has been helping somewhat.
What would be be a good starting point for end mills?
I've ordered a couple of 2 and 4 flute carbide end mills in a couple of sizes so far. Should I just wait until the need for a specific tool shows up or try to be a little pre-emptive and not have to wait for the vagueries of global shipping? My vise started in Phoenix and is now somewhere in Kentucky, getting farther away by the second. I know shipping isn't line of sight but , jeebus.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I typically order something every month off alliexpress, keeps parcels coming. If you are consistent it keeps u stocked

For higher quality or specialty items I order off the continent and get my wallet out

You should probably throw your first carbide on the ground and shatter it, just to get that out of the way too [emoji3]

I don’t run a lot of carbide end mills yet, practicing on the hss first

Mostly 2 and 4 flute. You’ll know when it has gone dull or chipped by the sound after a while

Coolant is key imho

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
You're going to have to try HSS, Carbide, 2 FLT and 4 FLT for yourself and decide. @John Conroy should be able to tell you what that machine liked.

For me, 2 FLT HSS is my go to, and I have not seen any advantage to 4 FLT HSS. I have no experience with carbide tooling. My mill isn't as rigid as yours which may be a factor as well.

My last end mill top up consisted of 2X1/8, 2X1/4, 2X3/8, 2X1/2, and 1X3/4 which reflects the sizes I use most. It all depends upon the nature of your projects.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, carbide can be.

One way to “cut“ carbide is to score it with a diamond wheel then hit it with a hammer. It snaps like glass. It depends on the tool‘s shape of course for that method to work and to give you a clean break.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I typically order something every month off alliexpress, keeps parcels coming. If you are consistent it keeps u stocked

I like doing that....like Mr Bean sending himself a birthcard, gives you a little lift every few weeks :D Christmas 12 months a year

You should probably throw your first carbide on the ground and shatter it, just to get that out of the way too [emoji3]

This is just my opinion, in the home shop they are not worth it (general statement, won't say I never use them) They don't do so well on less rigid machines either. At the plant where its 15000 15hp mill no backlash and everything is climb cutting they work well. In a commercial setting a spindle has a cost; you're trying to max production to cover overheads and it make sense to pay more for cutters that will get the job done more quickly. At home, its different. Most of us are trying to keep the total outlay in check, not have through put cover overhead.

Coolant is key imho

I try to always use coolant with milling and grinding, I think it improves tool life and finish as wells the obvious preventing heat build up. Don't rush to use it with carbide though. I don't think all carbide is the same, but it can suffer micro cracking from the thermal shock. Perhaps more prevelant with low cost end mills vs brand insertsm, but we and lots of other place mostly use air as coolant with carbide at the plant.

This is not for everyone because it requires yet more equipment, but how I've gone about getting an endless supply of sharp milling cutters for next to no money is to learn how to sharpen them and to invest in a tool and cutter grinder. I must have thousands of end mills at this point, you buy some retired guys whole kit and its got 100 end mills in it ....some sharp some not. Boxes of dull ones are about free. Use 'em and throw the dull ones in a box then every couple of years when the box gets full, sharpen them. Its borrowing from the woodworkers philosophy, you have to be able to sharpen your own tools and imo always having a sharp cutter at hand improves workmanship and makes it more enjoyable

Last edited:

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think I should do that to at least two:D:D had a nice 10mm snapped the end off the other day maybe 2 minutes of use, If I had done what you said I would have saved myself 2 minutes!!

Mostly 2 and 4 flute. You’ll know when it has gone dull or chipped by the sound after a while

Coolant is key imho[/QUOTE]

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
A few practice chips.
Took a while to get everything put in place. Had to build a sketchy toe jack to lift it and then built 3 skates to move it around into place.
Then it took a while to tram it and get the vise set up properly.
Put some scrap into it and managed to flatten it and then put a nice slot down the middle without launching it across the shop.
Business at the kennel has kicked into high gear with the summer travelers and the looming removal of the restrictions here in Sask so shop time is scarce right now.
I'm happy.