• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Starrett Flex-O-Post needs Viagra

JustaDB

Ultra Member
As part of a purchase last summer I was given a faulty Starrett Flex-O-Post & 657 mag base on the offside chance I could repair it. The issue is that when the lever at the base of the flex post is rotated to it's furthest extent, the post does not stiffen. There is still slack in it.

Anyone ever come across this before? Solutions?

1768054792168.jpeg
 
I don't have one of those, but a buddy does. I put a thin washer in the stack. Problem gone.

That particular magnetic base itself, is a treasure.
Good to know: I’ve read/heard a lot of reports (including one from a few years ago by Mr. Pete) of these not holding well so I’ve avoided them regardless of price.
 
I think that Starrett model has a tension cable which likeley stretches over time, or loosens on tensioning spindle, or whatever. So a spacer washer may well do the trick. I've heard this is somewhat common, they don't seem to last over time or QC went south at some point. If you have no/low $ into it, nothing to loose. The articulating arm style like Noga or Fisso have solid rods with hardened anvils, much better system.
 
Generically known as a "donkey dick", I have the (original?) Flexbar version. They are generally unreliable for use with indicators, even when functioning "properly". To tighten the cable, loosen the locknut at the top end and screw the indicator clamp mechanism out (or turn the barrel nut under the locknut, I forget), then re-tighten the locknut. At least that's how mine works. Once I bought a Chinese knock-off Noga ($30 with DTI), I found a more appropriate use for the Flexbar.

1768064591327.png

The faux Noga is the most rigid indicator holder I've ever used. But then I've never used a genuine Noga.

1768065711454.png
 
Last edited:
I have this one.
Needs Viagra. Yeah i know how it’s supposed to adjust tension.
The on/off button requires some SERIOUS pressure to move.
Even when on, it doesn’t have near the magnet the cheap knock-offs have.
Looks like the name plate needs the rivets removed (how?) to clean out the guts & free up the movement & maybe the magnet.
I never use it.
It does say Starrett, so i leave it on the shelf.
I wish it worked.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2209.png
    IMG_2209.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
As part of a purchase last summer I was given a faulty Starrett Flex-O-Post & 657 mag base on the offside chance I could repair it. The issue is that when the lever at the base of the flex post is rotated to it's furthest extent, the post does not stiffen. There is still slack in it.

Anyone ever come across this before? Solutions?

View attachment 76273
If I had to guess and I do, that nut at the top not only locks the position of the indicator holder, but also tensions the said cable.

Perhaps they unscrew themselves from the eye or plate that runs on the eccentric of the clamp lever?
 
You sure you're not the one blindfolded?

Been there, done that, both ways. In fact, I think we have done it both ways at once a few times.

I remember a certain trip in Austria where you drive your car up onto a train flatbed and then the train went through the mountain in a tunnel with no lights at all. Pitch black - zero light. Nobody knew what anyone else on that train was doing. Nothing else to do. We got to the other side with big smiles on our faces!
 
Back
Top