• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Starred Dial Indicator $75

Its a back plunge indicator. I got similar set for like 25 from kajiji sale few years back. Work great if you actually need it in a special kind of a setup - tight space or something like that.

Actually Tom that's not what it is for. It is a straight plunge, with an ID lever. The ID lever is worth 100 bucks by itself. I have PM'ed him for an in-person look.

if you got this set with a .001 indicator for 25 bucks working, you got a smoking deal!

That set is a smoking deal - you can tram you mill, set up to check surface flatness, locate parts, square the mill vise, dial in inside and outside bores....the replacement parts are costly ....

I think it comes with a Starrett 196 which is about $150 new - the little pads that screw on the back are about $30 a piece - the set looks complete - a STEAL at $75

I got my mint 196A6Z set a couple of years ago at $120 and I was happy about that price....$75 is awesome!

I paid 100 for my complete set and it is one of the handiest metrology tools I have.

My sincere apologies, @Tom Kitta - it IS a back indicator - I've never seen a lever set with a back indicator, and was told they don't exist (by a former Starret rep) - so I believed the wrong guy. it is a 196A1Z...

This set was in perfect condition - 'as new' or 'new old stock' The case has seen a toolbox for about 20 years, but everything was clean, oiled and rust-free. It was in the original cardboard box. They can be bought new for $240USD I was happy to give him $75 for it.

Mine says both the name L.S. Starrett and Kent & Moore. There is no Starrett number at all BUT it looks identical to the picture. Mine still has original Styrofoam case - or at least one it fits into ideally. I have same clamp as well / other mount. I may have few other accessories as well - maybe even all.

Maybe the reason Starrett rep did not know is b/c it was some kind of cooperation between US & UK?

I think it is an older model, that they don't sell often these days. Starrett had tens of thousands of SKU numbers, they can't know them all...

I've always wanted a back reading indicator for tramming, and now I have one. I am working on getting a PDF of the original manual. We'll see how that works out - I'll send you one if I get it. I really want to knwo how to set the thing up to measure ID concentricity, another reason for buying it.

Wondering if the old machining books might say anything I belive I have one of those in the basement in my Dads tools I know it has the button on the back. I just watched Abom using one to dial the inside of a part in.

nice! I noticed that they changed the contents a little, but I am going to use mine... often.

@Dabbler It's a curious thing about the contents. On mine the extra long bar is missing and a couple of other bits are there that I don't see in other sets. I suspect mine is missing the original extra long bar. I was wondering about making my own. Doesn't look difficult to make although the OD probably has to be quite precise. Also on mine there are extra slots in the foam suggesting other bits were once there. I'm not sure if these slots were original or added by the owner to hold custom made attachments? I know the original owner was a professional millwright and judging by the outside condition of my box it was used quite a lot.

Back