• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Stanko Lathe Model 165 - 41"x200", Edmonton, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
06b854f7-f66f-40f1-9776-60b11df58dab

So, what's it worth, guys?

I dunno what it's worth, but having something that is swinging a 40" 4-jaw is a priceless bit of kit..... Having a place to put it would be worth its weight in gold......:p

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think that's the scale of machine where the old adage of you can't make big stuff on a small lathe but you can make small stuff on a big lathe sorta breaks down.
"Hey Joe, where's the collet chuck for the Stanko? I need to make some 3/16" nuts for my Stirling engine"

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Na, piece of cake, just chuck a smaller chuck and dial it in. Small stuff away you go.

Not if the spindle wobble is 3/16...... LOL!

Or maybe @David_R8 really did mean what he wrote "3ft16inch" nuts......

Reminds me of the early metric days when people would say stuff like 6Meters and 147cm long instead of 7.47meters!

Reminds me of the early metric days when people would say stuff like 6Meters and 147cm long instead of 7.47meters!
Think about it some more.

You dial in the smaller chuck to run true (ie compensate for the wobble ) who cares as the path the smaller chuck takes is true and if the holding point of the smaller chuck is true who cares again.

The only down side is will look like its not true depending on what you visually reference.

Think about it some more.You dial in the smaller chuck to run true (ie compensate for the wobble ) who cares as the path the smaller chuck takes is true and if the holding point of the smaller chuck is true who cares again.

The only down side is will look like its not true depending on what you visually reference.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Think about it some more.

You dial in the smaller chuck to run true (ie compensate for the wobble ) who cares as the path the smaller chuck takes is true and if the holding point of the smaller chuck is true who cares again.

You are assuming that there is a true perfect axis for the big spindle. If the bearings are not perfect, the bigger things get the more they wobble - the wobble will change with each rotation because the bearing movement is not synchronized to the rotation.

Rauce

Ultra Member
Speed is the bigger issue using a lathe this size to make small parts.

Max spindle speed is 500rpm and a 40” chuck is probably not even rated for that.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You are assuming that there is a true perfect axis for the big spindle.
Agreed. Also even a small chuck that is chucked in a bigger one will create wobble in the headstock due to elastic forces because of imbalances. Yes I often chuck a smaller chuck in a larger one, but I reduce speed and take cuts accordingly. It isn't as accurate, but good enough for hobby work.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Agreed. Also even a small chuck that is chucked in a bigger one will create wobble in the headstock due to elastic forces because of imbalances. Yes I often chuck a smaller chuck in a larger one, but I reduce speed and take cuts accordingly. It isn't as accurate, but good enough for hobby work.

You can also use this method of chuck in a chuck to bridge gaps for gap lathes.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
It may be a little big for the typical home shop.
You need at least a large 2 car garage for that lathe.
. . . Or the guy wants too much for it.