Standard Modern Ultilathe 9 inch 3 phase

djberta

Premium Member
I have recently acquired a standard modern ultilathe 9 inch. It has been sparsely used as a tool room lathe in its life time, as in it was rarely used on a yearly basis. Former owner said he used it a couple times over the last 10 years. The standard site that has a 20 page short manual. Does anyone have a comprehensive shop manual for it. I would like to get a wiring diagram and some more info on it. I am in the process of getting a single to three phase vfd for it, with my current funds likely off amazon. I priced out an abb vfd from a former employer and almost stroked, wow have prices gone up. Currently just figuring out how to get the lathe in my basement without killing me or the lathe in the move.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You really won't need a wiring diagram for a vfd conversion on that lathe, since it won't have much for integrated controls. Mount handy box, 2 pole switch, controls power feed from breaker to VFD, vfd wired directly to the motor. No switches between vfd and motor. If it has a drum switch, thats what will tell the vfd what to do from there. Its pretty straightforward and we can help you with that.

BaitMaster

Super User
The VFD conversion really isn't that bad on them. I just did one on a 1230.

Basically all the manuals are here: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=4052&tab=3

You should be able to find a wiring diagram in there if you need it.

Amazon VFD's are hit and miss. ones of the Huangyang variety seem to be alright from amazon.

I would personally recommend a slight step up in price and go for an Automation Direct Durapulse, for around 300$, with a solid warranty.

There are alot of different drive preferences, some guys like hitachi, some guys like Altivars, and other guys (of the larger hairier variety) like TECO drives.

If you have any specific questions, fire away. The peanut gallery will answer.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you plan on keeping it, Teco L510 vfd hands down. Unless you want instant braking. They won't accept a braking resistor.

And i'm not as hairy as some on here.....

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I have the TECO as well and have had zero issues with it. I have the lathes factory on/off switch activating the contactor, that feeds the VFD which is set to restart after a power outage and use the lathes drum switch for fwd/off/rev of the motor. This way when I'm done for the day I hit the lathes off button which kills the contactor in turn kills the power to VFD.
I use the lathes gears for speed control but also have the freq pot to the VFD just for tweaking the speed. Sometimes all it takes 30rpm to get the chips flowing just right. I also added an LED tach for a bit of bling. lol

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
BTW - if you go to the "Plans" section in the Library there are drawings for a follow rest and a TTA if you're interested and don't have them.
Quite a few SM9's on the forum so lots of info and help.

djberta

Premium Member
I have some experience with basement moves both down and back up again. I might be of some help...
Last time I moved my lathe and mill in to our house I was 20 years younger, had the help of 3 friends, also 20 years younger, now my mind is going to winches and block and tackle. To move my mill from Leduc to Airdrie I will for sure have to pull it apart. I will for sure at the very least pick your brain.

djberta

Premium Member
Got the lathe mostly apart in to major components today. I am currently pulling the apron and cross slide apart. I am hoping to get it in to the basement this weekend. Maybe have a convention to go to as well.