Standard Modern Series 2000

JeffD

Premium Member
Hello.
First post here .
I currently own a SM series 2000 lathe. Was the same model that I used all through High School. It has a few issues, one being which sounds like a gear noise in the gearbox.
I removed the cover, and was able to isolate the noise to the intermediate shaft, but can't tell if it is a bearing noise ( item 22 on headstock parts list) or gear noise between intermediate and main shaft?
Anyone out there who has had the same issue, would like to hear from you.
Thanks all for you help in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    692.1 KB · Views: 32

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey Jeff!

Can’t help you with your original question, but I’m pretty sure there’s someone here who can. SMs have quite a cult following and you have a nice looking machine.

Welcome to the forum from Vancouver Island

Welcome to the forum from Lillooet BC.
Search for some posts by @Brent H , he has gone front to back on a couple Standard Moderns..... Any questions? Just ask away, tons of knowledge on this site, just not much from me:rolleyes:.... Lol

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from the wet coast.

Where is home?

How long have you had the machine?

Your lathe is the predecessor to mine and is quite similar. I've never had mine apart but the SM9 I had I chased a bad gear and had the headstock all apart.

Do the gears look okay? My SM9 the gears looked okay but one ended up with a couple of bent(?) teeth and it was grindy.

Did you put the spindle in neutral (hi/lo handle horizontal) and run the machine? This will isolate the spindle so if the noise is still there then you're looking at the intermediate or pulley shafts, gears or bearings. From there you may need to tear into it and check the bearings.

If you have it apart, change the pulley and intermediate shaft bearings just because, they're cheap and easy.

I'm sure others will chime in but I hope this helps.

JeffD

Premium Member
Welcome from the wet coast.

Where is home?

How long have you had the machine?

Your lathe is the predecessor to mine and is quite similar. I've never had mine apart but the SM9 I had I chased a bad gear and had the headstock all apart.

Do the gears look okay? My SM9 the gears looked okay but one ended up with a couple of bent(?) teeth and it was grindy.

Did you put the spindle in neutral (hi/lo handle horizontal) and run the machine? This will isolate the spindle so if the noise is still there then you're looking at the intermediate or pulley shafts, gears or bearings. From there you may need to tear into it and check the bearings.

If you have it apart, change the pulley and intermediate shaft bearings just because, they're cheap and easy.

I'm sure others will chime in but I hope this helps.
Hello. Home for me is in Campbellford, Ontario, just north of Belleville. I've had the lathe for 6 or 7 years now, and the noise never really bothered me until I started using the lathe more. It is defiantly something to do when the intermediate shaft is spinning. I can't pinpoint the noise. Not sure if it is the large gear between the two shafts or the bearings in the intermediate shaft. The gears look fine, and the inside wasn't fill with grude, so I think it may have had some maintenance in the past. I did buy both of the intermediate shaft bearings and was going to attempt to change them, but wasn't sure how to disassemble the gear box, so I left well enough alone.
Have you had your gearbox apart before? I believe I am handy enough to do the job, just not sure of the sequence of events LOL.
Thanks for the help

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I lived on Sterling for a few years, got my pilots license at Oak Hills.

I haven't had mine apart but from past experience (SM9), when you have the top off have a look around the rim for holes that may have set screws in them. The set screws may be there holding retainers or keepers.
You'll probably need to remove the pulley shaft first and then the intermediate shaft.

There are a few members in your area so help shouldn't be far away by if needed.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@JeffD : the bearing (item 25 on page 10 of the series 2000 manual) can cause noise and typically wears faster than the front conical bearing. This could be from incorrect pre-load on the conical bearing (side loading on the (25) ball bearing) or the adjustment nut being too loose. On the intermediate shaft there could be an issue with the fitment of the gears (16 and 17) - check the dowel pins and screws (18/19). On my Utilathe there was a key screwed to this shaft that drives the gears (16/17) and this key was broken.
The gear on (9 pulley Shaft) is machined into the shaft and drives the lathe when on the 50 RPM speed. This gear is typically the most worn and can create noise as well.

I have a thread on here about the restoration of a 10” Utilathe. It is basically the same as your series 2000. There is a section in it about pulling the gearbox apart. I have made new shafts and gears for quite a bit of this type lathe.

88hillman

Hey, Jeff. What serial number is your lathe? It's an identical twin to mine, just on opposite sides of the country (mine is in Calgary, AB).

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome to the Forum from Burlington. CHMW was a big help to me when wanted to get a mill. And still are.
Campbellford - nice part of Ontario.
Not that far from Newmarket.
Case you didn’t notice yet - we have a meetup on April 6. Would be nice if you could attend.
Our host for the meetup will be demonstrated a used 14” Std Modern Utilathe - they just acquired 6 of them.
I’ll send you a PM :)

Chipper5783

My SM1120 head stock runs pretty noisily - I’ve had the cover off a few times (even tried running it a little, throws plenty of oil). Everything seems good, just noisey. Figured I‘d run it for a while, if it truly is a problem other symptoms ought to show up (more noise, metal in the oil etc) - seems to work fine.

Try just running it for a while, and see if anything changes. Let us know how you make out?

JeffD

Premium Member
@JeffD : the bearing (item 25 on page 10 of the series 2000 manual) can cause noise and typically wears faster than the front conical bearing. This could be from incorrect pre-load on the conical bearing (side loading on the (25) ball bearing) or the adjustment nut being too loose. On the intermediate shaft there could be an issue with the fitment of the gears (16 and 17) - check the dowel pins and screws (18/19). On my Utilathe there was a key screwed to this shaft that drives the gears (16/17) and this key was broken.
The gear on (9 pulley Shaft) is machined into the shaft and drives the lathe when on the 50 RPM speed. This gear is typically the most worn and can create noise as well.

I have a thread on here about the restoration of a 10” Utilathe. It is basically the same as your series 2000. There is a section in it about pulling the gearbox apart. I have made new shafts and gears for quite a bit of this type lathe.
Thanks for the info Brent. I am quite certain the noise is coming from the intermediate shaft somewhere. With everything isolated the pulley shaft is very quiet, as well as the main shaft, but the noise is quit relevant when the intermediate shaft is spinning. Also can sometimes pick up a "clickety clack" type of noise??
I will find your post on the gearhead tear down.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi Jeff, welcome from the West end of Ontario south of Chatham. Your Avatar suggests you are a benchrester. Lots of smoke stick fans on here. I'm a benchrester too. But this is not a smithing forum so we keep it low key. Feel free to PM those of us that are so inclined. We are pretty easy to spot!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Doctors use stethoscopes to pinpoint strange noises all the time & I have used one on a few occasions to pinpoint con rod taps or injector hammering to tell which cylinder is making the noise...one could be very advantageous to you I think. I think Snap-on or some other tool maker even makes a model with a long prong to reach difficult spots.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@historicalarms has a great idea. A regular wooden stick touching things in the machine held against your ear at the other end works in a pinch too. I own a mechanics stethoscope, but have used the stick many times in a pinch.

Another trick is a variable timing light synced to a shaft on the machine. It allows you to see vibrations that are otherwise invisible.

JeffD

Premium Member
Hi Jeff, welcome from the West end of Ontario south of Chatham. Your Avatar suggests you are a benchrester. Lots of smoke stick fans on here. I'm a benchrester too. But this is not a smithing forum so we keep it low key. Feel free to PM those of us that are so inclined. We are pretty easy to s

@historicalarms has a great idea. A regular wooden stick touching things in the machine held against your ear at the other end works in a pinch too. I own a mechanics stethoscope, but have used the stick many times in a pinch.

Another trick is a variable timing light synced to a shaft on the machine. It allows you to see vibrations that are otherwise invisible.
I believe I will be doing this operation on the weekend, so fingers crossed!

Tom O

Ultra Member

I have the mechanics stethoscope but usually use a long screwdriver or bar.