• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop Stand for PM-25 clone

Shop

Eyecon

I’m hopefully getting a clone of the PM-25MV mill and I have no benches that can fit it. I ideally want the mill on a mobile platform that has some sort of retractable wheels or lifting legs that allows me to move the setup around. What the better solution: make my own steel frame stand or buy a tool chest and modify it? I have a stick welder and average welding skills, a metal band saw/portaband so I have the right tools to build something but not sure if it’s worth it vs a ready made solution that require little customization.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’m hopefully getting a clone of the PM-25MV mill and I have no benches that can fit it. I ideally want the mill on a mobile platform that has some sort of retractable wheels or lifting legs that allows me to move the setup around. What the better solution: make my own steel frame stand or buy a tool chest and modify it? I have a stick welder and average welding skills, a metal band saw/portaband so I have the right tools to build something but not sure if it’s worth it vs a ready made solution that require little customization.

A clone of a PM eh. That's an interesting concept all on its own...... What a crazy world we live in! But then again why not!

I don't know the history of mills in that class. My own mill/drill is prolly in that story somewhere.

You could either get a stand from the seller, or perhaps buy just the stand from PM.

I'd think that a mill that size would be just fine on a solid tool cabinet.

Or you could make a custom cabinet like many others on here do.

Personally, I like the integrated floor mount casters you can buy. The wheels can be cranked up off the floor in use or lowered to move around.

Eyecon

I don’t know much about the origin of the pm-25mv but I’m guessing it is a clone of some other machine. The one I’m hopefully getting is called RCOG-25 and appears identical to the PM…probably not as well finished

I guess a steel angle based frame with these https://a.co/d/7OeWePb would do just fine. The eBay seller stopped responding so I’m not even sure I’m getting the unit let alone buying the stand through them. I looked at stands on BusyBee and King Canada and they seem to be in the 300cad range…pretty sure 20feet or so of 2” steel angles will cost a lot less than that. Just wasn’t sure if there were other ideas/options out there

Six O Two

(Marco)
I guess a steel angle based frame with these https://a.co/d/7OeWePb would do just fine.

At 1.58" dia, those wheels strike me as kinda small. I guess it depends on how flat & smooth the flooring is where you're putting the mill. In my concrete-floored garage, I've used these workbench type 2 3/8" casters for heavy tables. I wouldn't really want to go smaller but I know people here have also used these casters successfully. If you're buiding it yourself, you could also just go with plain swiveling casters and build in some diy leveling feet to take it off the casters when you're not rolling it around.

What the better solution: make my own steel frame stand or buy a tool chest and modify it?

Depends on what you want. Cheapest stand possible? Steel frame and weld it yourself. Do you want to have drawers to store tooling below? How good are you cabinetry skills? Maybe size it so you can stick a middle cabinet in it. Sometimes its easier to repurpose a bottom chest. Just stick a double layer of plywood on the top and you're good to go.

Anyways, bottom line is there's no best solution, it depends on your wants and needs. Have fun with it! and if you build it and doesn't exactly fit the bill, modify or build again...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don’t know much about the origin of the pm-25mv but I’m guessing it is a clone of some other machine.

That was kinda the point of my lousy joke. A clone of a clone of a clone of a clone......

I agree with @Six O Two . Those wheels look a little small for the job. Might be strong enough, but hard to beat diameter for ease of rolling around. And overkill on the wheel capacity isn't a bad thing. Especially given the possible weight distribution issues you might encounter. I'd prefer to see wheels that have double the required weight capacity, and a bigger rolling diameter.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I saw recently welding cabinets for sale at auction - I think they went for around $50 or so - they are like 200 lbs plus of steel & would make very good stable platform. You can then add mobile base to roll them around or just weld in some castors.

Eyecon

Thanks everyone for the suggestion, I have 3” casters and I guess I’ll just add adjustable legs to base to lift frame as suggested. I’ll just make horizontal support beams to act as shelves. So a couple of layers of 3/4” plywood would be strong enough or should I consider a 1/4” steel plate? My CNC router tables are all wood but then again both of them probably weight as much as the mill. I have leftover 1” MDF that I can also use provided I make a cross beam support

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Eyecon sorry for being lathe to the party. You can absolutely build your own base. Several here have documented their builds.

As long as this is the kind of work that you love to do, then go for it!

However, if you want to start making chips right away, and can afford it, getting a rolling tool box makes very good sense for a small mill like the 25. I love Tom's idea of buying a used welding table, if it is tall enough to use.

I've bought several used rolling cabinets, and usually pay about 125$-175$ for them, (yes the ask price is usually more). At that kind of price, perhaps a build is less attractive?

That being said, there's nothing like the stand *you've* built.

curmudgeon

(Steve)

Downwindtracker2

It's worth while to build a steel frame around tool box lower. They are pretty flimsy, but they do give you drawers with having to make them. The casters aren't that HD either.