• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Stainless Steel Collets

architect

Super User
Anyone able to help out a member with making a set of stainless collets for my motorcycle pegs? As a beginner, I haven't been able to spend much time on my lathe and need these asap for my motorcycle while we still have some warm weather...

Images/idea came from a motorcycle forum adapting the footpeg:

machine a little collet out of stainless about 1/2 long and thread the inside the same as the Rizoma. The we cut the head of the Rizoma supplie bolts to make a short 1 inch piece of "all thread" and assembled the parts with LocTite and installed them...

1723049163499.webp
1723049176258.jpeg
1723049217133.webp

I realize the first post may not be so clear. I'm just looking for the M8 collets (as per sketch dimensions, not drawn in scale) that threads onto existing footpegs (diagram). It threads onto the footpeg on the M8 side that basically extends the 6mm nub shown on diagram. The result is the photo (6mm nub + collet) connected together via a piece of M8 size "all thread" bolt.

Last edited:
Well if no one closer to you offers help I can make them for you. I'll check to see if I have any 5/8" round 303 in my inventory. Does it have to be 303 or would 316 be ok?

I already made the same offer by PM. But I'm closer than you. On the other hand, I have no SS like that on hand, so we would have to buy some.

@architect - @John Conroy is a much better machinist. I'm a self confessed farm machinery butcher - which is prolly good enough for your needs. But I won't take offense if you prefer to have him do it.

So you have two to choose from for now. Best would be someone in the GTA to save on shipping.

Question: Will you need to time the pedal? If so, how do you plan to do that - with a nut, or trim the length, or.... ?

Question 2: it seems to me that 0.510 isn't a long enough threaded sleeve to accommodate two M8 studs - one from each end. Especially with timing. What is magic about 0.510? Wouldn't an inch or so be better?

I already made the same offer by PM. But I'm closer than you. On the other hand, I have no SS like that on hand, so we would have to buy some.

@architect - @John Conroy is a much better machinist. I'm a self confessed farm machinery butcher - which is prolly good enough for your needs. But I won't take offense if you prefer to have him do it.

So you have two to choose from for now. Best would be someone in the GTA to save on shipping.

Question: Will you need to time the pedal? If so, how do you plan to do that - with a nut, or trim the length, or.... ?

Question 2: it seems to me that 0.510 isn't a long enough threaded sleeve to accommodate two M8 studs - one from each end. Especially with timing. What is magic about 0.510? Wouldn't an inch or so be better?

Well if no one closer to you offers help I can make them for you. I'll check to see if I have any 5/8" round 303 in my inventory. Does it have to be 303 or would 316 be ok?

As a "farm machinery butcher", you're still many steps up from me :)

I'm happy for either of you fine folks and grateful either way. Not sure what's easier/cost-effective: having the material already but ship across the country or having to shop for some? 316 would work just fine as well.

The original straight footpegs (pictured in black) are mounted onto a friction collar, tightened down with a bolt. The 3d party folding product (pictured in silver) has the exact same 14mm OD (0.550") but only a 6mm long nub (pictured in diagram). So the collars are for extending this to match, connected together via M8-1.25 thread. The overall length needs to be 0.510" because that's the depth of the mounting collar before hitting the backplate, matching original black peg.

PXL_20240808_145550772.jpg
1723142274762.jpeg
1723142915381.jpeg

I take it you’ve checked out the price for used parts from bike shops?
For $20./$30 bucks by the time you buy the metal machine it and ship the bucks will rise rapidly and you’ve just copied the original.
I’d just go for Amazon.
oh and they put the rubber on so the food doesn’t slip off so easy.

Thanks, I really wish there was an off the shelf solution. I've searched for hours before finding the particular fella on the motorcycle forum with the solution. These rearsets are on another tier and designed for track nd not street-use with an entirely different system, which is why they are not compatible with all the cheap footpegs out there. In the race system, the footpeg position is adjustable and with quick changeability:

1723168396244.jpeg

The knurl on the original straight footpegs are actually machined razor sharp that bites into boots for racing usage. They've cut up my calves way too many times! That is exactly why I sourced these foldable pegs for street purposes and need some couplings to get them on the rearsets.

Last edited:
Thanks, I really wish there was an off the shelf solution. I've searched for hours before finding the particular fella on the motorcycle forum with the solution. These rearsets are on another tier and designed for track nd not street-use with an entirely different system, which is why they are not compatible with all the cheap footpegs out there. In the race system, the footpeg position is adjustable and with quick changeability:

View attachment 50535

The knurl on the original straight footpegs are actually machined razor sharp that bites into boots for racing usage. They've cut up my calves way too many times! That is exactly why I sourced these foldable pegs for street purposes and need some couplings to get them on the rearsets.
Ok that makes more sense.

Back