• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Spray Welding on a Lathe

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've never seen this done before. Way beyond my expertise. Have any of you (pro) weldors done this?

What's in the canister?

Many years ago, I watched my father do this using oxy acetylene with a gravity feed cup full of powdered steel entering the oxygen flow whenever the oxy handle was depressed. He had to do a preheat on the shaft so the steel powder would weld to the shaft. We used the same setup for hardfacing by substituting tungsten powder in the feed cup.

Spray welding is a messy job!

The canister has the material you are going to apply to the shaft. Typically you cut in threads into the shaft and then during the spray weld process you fill the threads in and build up until you are a tad over the shaft diameter. Gotta keep things turning till it all cools off and then you can machine the surface or grind it to desired size. Usually only use it to repair stuff that is impossible to replace or larger shafts that are worth big bucks. we have spray welded some shafts with cobalt to add a really hard surface for lip seals to ride on.

Surprised Abom doesn't have his lathe all cloaked up with protection - that stuff can get everywhere....

Will watch the video now :)

Thanks for the lesson. That's pretty cool. Not as cool as thermite welding rail track, but right up there.

I watched this the other day! Abom used a fiber cloth to cover his lathe. I was thinking it doesn’t have to be in a lathe to build it up material just spun on centers.

I found this on Kijiji and picked it up after watching Abom on youtube this one looks like it is for lighter more precise work on the plus side most of the bottles are full.
D929C3FB-F9E5-4BA0-8D90-5886B27236ED.jpeg

Today I picked up a 80 Oxy and 40 gas bottle from Kms along with a cart
7AE1633A-9E69-4873-BF6C-26C0FF188688.jpeg

Here is Abom using this style with the rep.

I saw it and lusted after it but I already have a kit with only hard surfacing powder (tungsten and a cobalt mix). It would be nice to have some buildup powder. Wanna trade some in a month or three?

JN

I still have to go through it and see just what I have I’m sure something could be worked out.

The guy I bought it off lives about a mile from me, he told me that they would buy them at auctions just to keep them out of peoples hands and threw out quite a few!

Back