Spindle oil SAE 20

slow-poke

Ultra Member
The G1008 manual is what I'm using as a reference for the A1S mill I just purchased, the manual recommends SAE 20 oil for the spindle. The manual does not specify, but I'm assuming that's supposed to be non detergent?

Where are you guys getting your SAE 20 oil?

Looking online at Canadian Tire, they only seem to have multi viscosity varieties like 20-50 etc.

The manual also states the spindle bearings should be repacked once per year.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The G1008 manual is what I'm using as a reference for the A1S mill I just purchased, the manual recommends SAE 20 oil for the spindle. The manual does not specify, but I'm assuming that's supposed to be non detergent?

Where are you guys getting your SAE 20 oil?

Looking online at Canadian Tire, they only seem to have multi viscosity varieties like 20-50 etc.

The manual also states the spindle bearings should be repacked once per year.

I've been getting SAE 30 (non detergent) from Canadian Tire, also The Part Source.

Perry

Ultra Member
I found this from the Grizzly manual.....you probably already seen it

"Spindle: Add oil to the oil cup after every 4 hours
of use. The cup is located on the right portion of
the milling head just under the belt guard. SAE 20
oil is recommended"

Page 15.

I would just make sure there is oil still there after 4 hours. If not , you might not be adding enough?

I do not have this machine. Maybe someone else will know better.

mbond

Premium Member
As I recently discovered, detergent oil should be used with a filter. And if there isn't one in the loop, don't use it

Engmaxx

(Michael)
3 in 1 oil is 20W non detergent - small quantity - big price
I am pretty sure 3 in 1 for 1/4 horsepower or larger motors is 20W, not the multipurpose one. I used it all the time until I bought larger quantities of oil.