• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Spindle lock handle for my mill

John Conroy

Premium Member
Something that has annoyed me about my new mill is the handle for the spindle lock is only 1.25" long. I have to really crank on it to make the spindle lock tight enough so the power drawbar doesn't move the spindle down when tightening a collet

I also wanted to move the handle to the rear of the head so the default position due to gravity is unlocked instead of locked as it is when the handle is on the front. I have a 3" X 3" square plate mounted next to the spindle lock to mount a magnetic indicator base on, that made it very difficult to work with the short handle.

I made up the 5/16" X 3" threaded shaft with a short piece of 1" CRS with a pocket for the head of the bolt, then welded the bolt in place and machine the end flat again. The handle is made from a short length of 1/2" 303 stainless and a M6 stainless socket head screw. Huge improvement! This cold snap has me looking for excuses to stay home and deal with my small project list.

I used Birchwood Casey cols blue to blacken the top of the shaft and as you can see here the welded top part turned out splotchy. Oh well, no one will know except me.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Something that has annoyed me about my new mill is the handle for the spindle lock is only 1.25" long.

The new handle is really cool. I turned my lock around the same way but since I don't have (or need) a power drawbar, my lock has never been a problem for me.

But to be honest with you John, what really impresses me is that indicator pad! I love that! Please tell us more about it!

John Conroy

Premium Member
This mill has a 5/16" threaded hole right beside the spindle lock handle, as did my 80's vintage Ferro brand mill. I mounted a 3" X 3" X 1/4" plate with a countersunk bolt which works great to mount my Noga mag base.

Screenshot_20230224_175440_Chrome.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This mill has a 5/16" threaded hole right beside the spindle lock handle, as did my 80's vintage Ferro brand mill. I mounted a 3" X 3" X 1/4" plate with a countersunk bolt which works great to mount my Noga mag base.

I'd prolly have to drill and tap something to do that. But I love the idea. The mill head isn't magnetic enough to hold a magnetic block. So I usually use a spindle clamp, but sometimes the spindle moves a bit and I have to start over.

In your photo, you also show what looks like a cool light. What is that about?

I'm glad you live so far away. I have this feeling I'd spend an entire week at you place asking you "what's that about?" LOL! Keep em coming John!

John Conroy

Premium Member
The spindle light is just one of the halo led rings you can get on Amazon. It is powered by a 12V power supply in the VFD cabinet. It's glued to a shop made aluminum ring that is a friction fit over the spindle bottom nut and secured with a M4 set screw. My eyes are not what they once were so there never seems to be enough light.

Screenshot_20230224_190918_SmugMug.jpg

John Conroy

Premium Member
As far as I know most Bport clone mills have that same bolt hole
On my old one it was full of paint and almost invisible.