• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Speedy wrench for vice (repurposed parts)

thriller007

So a buddy come over today who was wanting some help with his hydraulic brakes on his mountain bike. I got my boxes of mountain bike parts for his project and saw some old crank arms and the lightbulb went on. How about using an old Mnt bike crank for a speedy wrench body. I had 2 extra 15mm sockets that fit the vice nice. Not finished yet but here’s the start. Now just need to make a handle but even as it is it’s better than the stock handle.

Attachments

• A8008712-74EB-498A-A1CA-1B2CECF3A183.jpeg
    A8008712-74EB-498A-A1CA-1B2CECF3A183.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 8360B8DF-F8B2-47E0-B327-CC6C7CA7FDB7.jpeg
    8360B8DF-F8B2-47E0-B327-CC6C7CA7FDB7.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 83157E2C-4F98-4608-998E-EF791A19098E.jpeg
    83157E2C-4F98-4608-998E-EF791A19098E.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Bicycles have hydraulic brakes now???? Boy am I ever out of touch with stuff LOL.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So a buddy come over today who was wanting some help with his hydraulic brakes on his mountain bike. I got my boxes of mountain bike parts for his project and saw some old crank arms and the lightbulb went on. How about using an old Mnt bike crank for a speedy wrench body. I had 2 extra 15mm sockets that fit the vice nice. Not finished yet but here’s the start. Now just need to make a handle but even as it is it’s better than the stock handle.
Should be nice and strong! I think they make those out of pretty good material?

thriller007

What a cool idea! Curious what you'll use as a handle.
I pondered that last night and thought that I would look through the shop and see what pedals I had that I could modify since they already had bearings in them and will screw right in. Will keep you posted.

thriller007

Well that worked out good. Found an old aluminum pedal and cut the sides off and now we have a very free turning ball bearing handle. The speed handle is a success!! Time to clean up the mess now.

Attachments

• 4B32520D-C68C-46D3-8D82-8D35AB60CE82.jpeg
    4B32520D-C68C-46D3-8D82-8D35AB60CE82.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 07418F12-517E-4D8A-8035-F82962A6CD9F.jpeg
    07418F12-517E-4D8A-8035-F82962A6CD9F.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well that worked out good. Found an old aluminum pedal and cut the sides off and now we have a very free turning ball bearing handle. The speed handle is a success!! Time to clean up the mess now.
Well good job and you have an unique one of a kind handle.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I like that style of handle, I might have to build another one. I'm curious to see if the press fit will be enough to hold the socket when you need to crank on it (no pun intended)lol. Did you notice what the pressure was on the press?

thriller007

I like that style of handle, I might have to build another one. I'm curious to see if the press fit will be enough to hold the socket when you need to crank on it (no pun intended)lol. Did you notice what the pressure was on the press?
Sorry I just have a cheap princess auto hydraulic press that is a 12 ton so there was no gauge on it but I’ll tell you that it was pretty hard to push on the first one at least that one on the long handle version. On the middle socket I overshot the measurements a bit so it a little looser but should be ok. It was also peeling off some aluminum on the way through on the end one.

Tozguy

Excellent idea, gonna make me one as soon as I have taught my better half to pedal with one leg.
Seems like it would also make an excellent crank handle for turning a lathe spindle by hand.

thriller007

Excellent idea, gonna make me one as soon as I have taught my better half to pedal with one leg.
Seems like it would also make an excellent crank handle for turning a lathe spindle by hand.
Better get her a clipped pedal for the other side.