• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Space Above a CNC Router Table

Tips/Techniques

SparWeb

Hello,
I bought a CNC router table that's about 6' wide x 4' deep.
I am planning to put it against the wall as shown in the photo, but does anyone have ideas about using the space above it efficiently?
The location blocks a pegboard that I have used for years for a variety of items, and it's always full of stuff.
I spent the afternoon removing most of the stuff. Hard to find a place for everything. As you can see there's still some stuff of the left, yet to go.

20230914_185259 - Copy.jpg

If I put a shelf over the CNC, I don't think I'll be able to reach anything on it without a ladder. Any better ideas?
Thanks in advance!

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Hello,
I bought a CNC router table that's about 6' wide x 4' deep.
I am planning to put it against the wall as shown in the photo, but does anyone have ideas about using the space above it efficiently?
The location blocks a pegboard that I have used for years for a variety of items, and it's always full of stuff.
I spent the afternoon removing most of the stuff. Hard to find a place for everything. As you can see there's still some stuff of the left, yet to go.

View attachment 38274

If I put a shelf over the CNC, I don't think I'll be able to reach anything on it without a ladder. Any better ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Assuming there wont be overhead dust collection for the CNC, could you reconfigure the pegboard so that is is essentially a couple of pegboard doors that swing out on either side for accessibility? Move the gantry down to end farthest from the wall to get it out of the way and swing either side out to reach the pegboard.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hang an upside down island of back to back cabinets from the rafters with access doors on both sides. Picture a cabinet on the floor sticking out from the peg board wall. Flip it upside down then hang it from the ceiling. You could also put shelves or tool hooks on the end furthest from the far wall.

SparWeb

Thank you, I like both of your ideas.

I am also considering finishing the ceiling this fall, with insulation. Currently only the walls of the shop are insulated (long story) and the ceiling needs to be insulated before it would make any sense to heat the shop. And, heating the shop makes it comfortable for more work using the CNC, so you see I really have to get me act together and do the ceiling now!

Tom O

Ultra Member
I still haven’t insulated my garage roof either but it has always had the heat on in the winter after we did the walls I found it to be not that bad although we did put in the vapour barrier before drywalling.

SparWeb

Wow, a stock material rack - on the ceiling - I really didn't think of that, but boy that would be nice.

The wheels are for moving it from my trailer into the shop. Now that it's here I will leave it on the wheels for a little longer. The ceiling finishing project is becoming more urgent and of course I will need to move things out of the way as I work.