• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

South Bend 9” Lathe with assorted tools, $2300, Calgary, AB

Jswain

Joe
Is it normal to be drilled for grease zerks everywhere though? I've never seen one like that but I honestly haven't looked much. Seems like it's got a much smaller pulley on the driveshaft too.

Taper attachment tho if it's all there...that and power crossfeed really had me thinking

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
e95c7442-33a7-4297-bcff-e8d3f24f2753

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Is it normal to be drilled for grease zerks everywhere though?
I don't know enough about them to say if it's normal or not, but mine (ca. '64) doesn't have a single zerk on it. I've also never seen a spindle cover like that on a horizontal drive 9. Only on bottom drives.

Jswain

Joe
I think the cover might be south bend normal for some of them but I think the zerks/power switch guard and how it's mounted itself is maybe home job. Not sure if he's using grease on everything

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
The power switch guard is kind of neat.
Ooooh, I need to make one of those.
I'm always scared I'm going to bump that switch with my elbow when I'm moving the belt or using the chuck key.
I've thought about changing it to a recessed push button but this looks a little easier.
And kinda steam punky too.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Is it normal to be drilled for grease zerks everywhere though? I've never seen one like that but I honestly haven't looked much. Seems like it's got a much smaller pulley on the driveshaft too.

Taper attachment tho if it's all there...that and power crossfeed really had me thinking
No zerks are not factory parts. I’m fact off they seller is using grease instead of oil I’d be leery of the condition of the headstock.

Last edited:

Jswain

Joe
No zerks are not factory parts. I’m fact off they seller is using grease instead of oil I’d be leery of the condition of the headstock.
I think the headstock has the oil cups installed still, but I believe the pulley on the countershaft is half the size or less then it should be so unless the motor pulley was changed everything might be rotating 2x as fast as what it should.

And the countershaft itself looks replaced as well, so maybe that's why. I'd just cry if I was taking a cut someday and something broke where it was drilled for a zerk lol

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i can see the oil cups on the headstock and the gear box, might be a zerk on the lead screw end support and maybe the carriage ? those are not stock, i think the owner may have just filled up the oiling holes with zerks, hopefully they used oil and not grease

She is definitely wearing a coat of many colors....... I could be wrong, but I think it has a 10k headstock and tailstock as well as compound. I don't see excess grease gooped around, so I suspect that the zerks are for oil rather than grease. I like the one on the compound, that would flush stuff out of the ways nicely. Of course, everything is subject to having a hands on look....