• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

South Bend 8?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Looks more like a 9 or 10K UMD to me.
Ridiculous price though.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3571920002838045/

85417bba489979d5a629b53d2a29338e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Definitely worth $320, not sure about 3200 ;)

Looking at condition per pics and 3ph motor I don't think its worth more then maybe 700-800 max.

Lets see what Dabbler says. Note almost no tooling of any kind.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Any halfway decent SB 9 with a gearbox is worth more than $1000. Although they’re old tech they are solider than a 10x22 chinese lathe.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
That's a SB9A, pre-WW2. The racing stripes on the headstock give it away. Properly lubed, these never wear out.

This one shows very little cleaning, some rust and not great maintenance (or any lube). It has also been used extensively for wood turning: not terrible, but it will need a complete teardown and rebuild to work really well.

A perfect, pristine one should go for around $1700-2000. This one is worth just south of 700$ -- IF -- it has the 4 jaw chuck also. Without the 4 jaw chuck, I'd pay 600$ tops. If I was in a generous mood.

I agree with @Johnwa - these are ruggedly built, well designed machines. Far better than the current 7X28/30 lathes of today. The problem with this one is lack of maintenance, and likely play in the headstock bushings due to lack of oiling. [Headstock bushing in this lathe take serious skill to properly replace. everything else is easily fixed.]