Sourcing Plastic/Acrylic Sheets?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
A few years ago I saw a bunch of face shield replacements in a discount bin at KMS. I bought them to use as templates when fabricating things. They are great to lay on top of a quarter inch grid and mark up, then punch or cut.

I've almost run out so would like to buy a sheet or half sheet. 1 mm is the right size for me.

Where is s good place to buy this stuff? The face shields I bought were $2.99 before the 50% off discount and they were maybe 15" x 9".

Attachments

• sheet2.jpg
    sheet2.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sheet1.jpg
    sheet1.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 0

francist

Super User
I've purchased the same material in off-cut remnants at Industrial Plastics and Paint here in Victoria, but it looks like they have a location in Calgary as well. I "think" it's acetate?, polycarbonate? although I cannot be certain at the moment. I can check my pieces when I get home later today, I know I marked one of them as to the material.

-frank

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks Frank. I like it because it punches, drills, cuts and sands well. So it's great for layout. When I'm ready to cut metal, I just lay it overtop and mark out.

I don't think the material is that critical, and maybe those plastic mats for desk tops would work as well. I guess a knowledgable staff member at the place could assist me.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
After looking at their website w/photos, it looks like a place to explore with what I need here in Calgary. Thanks Frank :)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You could also try Norwesco Industries LTD here in Calgary. They have a big selection of sheet plastic.

francist

Super User
Okay it’s polycarbonate. I think Lexan will be the popular trade name likely encountered. I bought it in 0.060” thick clear sheet.

I never thought of it for templating but that’s a good idea, it’s very nice to work with. I use it mostly for making my own replacement face shield lenses and also chip shields on the shaper and mill. It cold forms beautifully in a sheet metal brake. Have also done a couple of picatinny-mount brass deflectors for people that turned out pretty nice. Not nearly as prone to cracking as acrylic.

-frank

439C8B6D-5D09-46F2-8107-37448D27023D.jpeg

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Very nice. I'm thinking of something like that for my ironworker. I've been wondering how to use a couple of cross line lasers to set up a target on the plate, but this would require a new guard. So I need something similar.

It's great material. Magical stuff in fact. Only downside to it I see so far is that acetone dulls it. I use the acetone to wipe off Sharpie marks I messed up on. However, this is minor as it get dulled and scratched when making templates anyways. I cut mine on a foot shear mostly and sliding it around on the cast table leaves marks. Another nice quality for template making is that you can sand it easily; it does leave some heat dross, but a razor scraper cuts this right off.

I'm going out to Industrial Plastics and Paint tomorrow to look around :)

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I have bought lots from industrial paint and plastics in calgary. They are easy to deal with and the only place I have found that sells small quantities like that.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
UPDATE: I just got back from Industrial Plastics & Paints now. What a great place. I wish I had known about them years ago. The fellow who helped me (Tibor) was very knowledgeable and even called a manufacturer to double check on the material I had. Turns out it was PET (polyethylene terephthalate).

Pretty cool store. In addition to sheets they have lots of other stuff ranging from carbon fibre rolls, waterproof paints, coatings, UHMW, Delrin, etc. Best of all they sell stuff by the foot and have off-cuts too.

But what caught my eye was liquid latex for making molds...just like they use on MythBusters. Now, I have absolutely no need for this; but it is just such cool stuff I have to "find" a project for it. (If I were still working downtown I'd pour a latex brick wall to hang in my office so I could bang my head on it in frustration as needed.)

They actually had a mock cinderblock made of the stuff, and you wouldn't know it wasn't the real thing unless you touched it. Too cool.

Thanks @francist and others for the recommendation.

Last edited: