• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Sourcing Aluminum Stock

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Perhaps slightly off topic although the right forum me thinks. Sourcing recycled aluminum here in Moose Jaw or Regina is almost impossible unless one's willing to accept abused crap. I have a project in mind that requires a 12" inch piece of clean 1" x 1" or 1 & 1/4 x 1" aluminum square stock.

Two 6" pieces would work what have you?

Thought my endmill swap message to the 'Classifieds' forum might garnish some interest on above mentioned aluminum stock.

Starting to run out of reasonable options.

Bill

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I do most of my work in Aliuminum in the past 10 years but I always have to start from round stock. I'm out of aluminum right now.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
1x1 in 6061-T6 is 13.50 $C/ft at Aircraft Spruce. They calculate shipping on checkout based on weight but didn't strike me as too bad last order I did. Pretty sure they go Canada Post unless you want it quicker. They also offer 2024. Sometimes its not cost effective to just buy a stick. I guess that's why Metal Supermarket's of the world exist but you generally pay higher price.

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/mepages/6061t6.php

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks Peter T

Another option well worth my consideration. Shall contact Aircraft Spruce to investigate shipping costs via Canada Post.

Bill

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Hello Peter T

Bit the bullet and ordered two 1" x 1" x 12" pieces of aluminum from Aircraft Spruce today.
I felt that the cost with shipping was reasonable all things considered.

Presently my 2 end mills sit in limbo until further notice.

Bill

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good to hear. What I usually try & do, especially with new vendors, is add some other items to the cart to see if it makes any significant difference on shipping. Often times you find no significant change to shipping by adding more, like 20$ to ship one item & 25$ to ship 2. Depends on the weight & other factors. Sometimes shipping goes up proportionately, all depends on how they do the math on their end. Of course you are buying more material than maybe what you have immediate need for, but your dollar stretches further. I bought a bunch of 12" sticks of progressive small diameters added to order because they were dirt cheap, just nice to have around instead of shaving a .75" bar down to 0.50" just because you don't have a 0.50" handy.