Source for Horizontal mill cutters AKA: arbor mount cutters ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Specifically looking for 1" center hole X 1/4" thick ~ 3" dia. C/W half round end profile.
Yeah, I know "good luck".
I have looked at involute gear cutters on Ebay that are somewhat close but anything currently available is a "stub" profile (flat bottom w/ radiused corners).
TIA

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
I think this is what you are looking for?

I checked my stash, seem to have every other size than 1/4”…. I’ll look again and let you know.
Well; thanks for that , yes, those would work-- I did search KBC website for Horizontal mill cutters, arbor mount cutters -- "no results" -- never thought to use "convex cutters" in my search terms.
I'm not really "stuck on" 1/4" - that just "sounds about right", a bit thicker wouldn't hurt (if there's something like that in your stash).

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Along the same thread has anyone ever seen any cutters for XL or L series pulleys?

I have not. From a quick search, I wonder if it could be cut with a three step process: first a flat bottom pass, then one each for the 25* flanks? Would take three times around in the dividing head, but could be done. This is using a straight sided cutter.

A special single lip cutter could be ground as well. Then, used as a fly cutter, could generate the required profile.

Or, Alibaba seems to sell timing belt pulley hobs…

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I have not. From a quick search, I wonder if it could be cut with a three step process: first a flat bottom pass, then one each for the 25* flanks? Would take three times around in the dividing head, but could be done. This is using a straight sided cutter.

A special single lip cutter could be ground as well. Then, used as a fly cutter, could generate the required profile.

Or, Alibaba seems to sell timing belt pulley hobs…

The problem is the HOB for an L series pulley is, with shipping about $175. These are the only ones I need. I may just start with 3D printing them and maybe make a metal hub. They are for the AR4 robot arm.
1680369761037.png
I have done that before with reasonable results but I'd rather do it in metal since the plastic hub part holding the set screws and keys are usually the weak point.
PulleyInstalled.jpg
The yellow plastic pulley ultimately failed.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would think a 3d printed gear profile bonded to a metal hub should give you the strength you are looking for.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Along the same thread has anyone ever seen any cutters for XL or L series pulleys?
I have not but one thing I recently came to realize is that the tooth profile (depth/profile/relief?) varies by diameter, at least they do for the particular HTD pulley parts I'm using. Initially I thought maybe defective milling but when I downloaded the CAD components, sure enough, they correspond. ie. there may be more to it than typical spur gear tooth cutting depending on the tooth count.

1680382017385.png 1680381990054.png