CA-ALL Source for high quality v-belt pulley

Canada Wide
Type
Product

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The intermediate drive pulley on the Clausing leaves a bit to be desired in the concentricity area.
Does anyone have a good source for machined V-belt pulleys?Looked at Grainger (perhaps worst search interface ever) and TorontoGear. Shipping from the latter is insane.

Is it the one above the motor? The zamak looking one? Last time I was in princess auto they had some nice looking browning ones. I was looking for one for my shaper drive, but after diving through my collection of assorted sundries I found one that more closely aligned with my frugal nature. :rolleyes:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Is it the one above the motor? The zamak looking one? Last time I was in princess auto they had some nice looking browning ones. I was looking for one for my shaper drive, but after diving through my collection of assorted sundries I found one that more closely aligned with my frugal nature. :rolleyes:
Yup that’s the one.
It’s a hot mess of out of round!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Third vote for PA, when I purchased my mill, the motor pulley was pretty wonky. The set screws wouldn't stay tight for long. I tried shimming it to get it to run true it was a futile effort. PA had a taper lock replacement it runs perfectly true. After installing the taper lock pulley all my pulley problems disappeared never to be seen again.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
PA had a taper lock replacement it runs perfectly true.

I'm glad it worked for you. Always surprised at what PA sells from time to time!

I tried to google taper lock pulley and came up with dozens of variations. I'd like to understand what you got and how it works. Can you link to one and/or explain what it is? Even a photo would help.

Thanks!

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I'm glad it worked for you. Always surprised at what PA sells from time to time!

I tried to google taper lock pulley and came up with dozens of variations. I'd like to understand what you got and how it works. Can you link to one and/or explain what it is? Even a photo would help.

Thanks!
These work so well, if there is a suitable one available for any future application I'm using one. <-----period. Images at end are on my mill.

Also found this video describing installation. The old pulley was driving me crazy.

FF810DDF-7780-4FC6-AB51-05FDA91387F6.jpeg 60A6FE1A-3A1B-4791-BD44-FCDF3CE0E693.jpeg

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
X4 on PA.

If they don’t have the size of pulley / taper lock bushing you need, try Motion Industries. It will be a little more $s, but they have an even bigger selection available than PA who carry most standard size pulleys / hubs (at least in the stores here in Calgary).

John Conroy

Premium Member
I used one when I did the 3 phase conversion on my lathe. Very solid. The only tricky part is getting the alignment perfect because the pulley moves along the shaft as it seats onto the tapered bushing.

20200320_175848.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I could be confident of getting the right double belt pulley, this would open a few doors for me. It seems my lathe motor is very rare. I have only found one motor to fit it so far and it is almost a grand. The penny pincher in me just can't bring myself to spend that. The other thing is finding a high turndown vfd rated motor. Although that isn't as important, I'd still prefer it. If I could find a dual belt pulley to fit my lathe and a new motor, it might be a lot easier to fit a broader selection of motors. My current motor has a metric shaft. Metric motors don't seem to be very common around here.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
If I could be confident of getting the right double belt pulley, this would open a few doors for me. It seems my lathe motor is very rare. I have only found one motor to fit it so far and it is almost a grand. The penny pincher in me just can't bring myself to spend that. The other thing is finding a high turndown vfd rated motor. Although that isn't as important, I'd still prefer it. If I could find a dual belt pulley to fit my lathe and a new motor, it might be a lot easier to fit a broader selection of motors. My current motor has a metric shaft. Metric motors don't seem to be very common around here.
Double groove pulleys here: https://www.princessauto.com/en/double-groove-cast-iron-sheaves/product/PA1000001334
Taper locks here: https://www.princessauto.com/en/split-tapered-bushings/product/PA1000001199

PA had a pretty good selection of both when I purchased mine about five years back, as others have mentioned Motion Industries will likely have exactly what you need if PA does not. I have found Motion Industries to have good selection of stock and good service.

Metric taper locks here: https://www.motioncanada.ca/products/search;q=taper lock metric

John Conroy

Premium Member

Post in thread 'Single phase to 3 phase conversion on Modern GH1440W lathe' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...rsion-on-modern-gh1440w-lathe.1990/post-21730