SOLD: Atlas Horizontal Milling machine $1600

mickeyf

Craftsman Atlas Horizontal Milling Machine

MT2 Spindle

"Change-O-Matic" power feeds of 0.003", 0.006", 0.0125" and 0.025" per revolution,
with a chart that shows this as FPM based on spindle speed.

1/3 HP 120V motor (original?)
8 spindle speeds by belt changes and back gear:
62, 130, 212, 440, 450, 870, 1400 and 2870 RPM

Will take cutters up to 4" diameter although smaller is generally preferable on any horizontal mill

Included:

MT2 1" arbor
selection of arbor cutter spacers (shop made)
Endmill holders, 3/8" and 1/2", MT2
Jacobs Drill Chuck
Original swivel vise with handle
vise handle extension (shop made)
Draw bar (shop made)
knock-out bar w/ brass tip (shop made)
Task light (funky, looks original)
Operation and parts manual (Photocopy)
wrenches
8 Cutters for 1" arbor:
1/32"
1/16"
3/32"
1/8"
3/16"
3/8"
1/2"

end mills: 3/8" and 1/2"

Notes:

Because of the change-o-matic gearing the power feed changes direction depending on the setting:
0.003 and 0.0125 are one way, the other two settings are the other direction. The desired direction
(or no power feed) is then set by a lever to the right of the change-o-matic chart. Since this is a small mill for making small parts, it's also convenient to feed manually.

These mills were made in the 1940's and 1950's. I don't know the exact age of this one. There are not a lot of these little mills available, most seem to have been parted out on eBay or are tightly held by their current owners. I only see one (mostly) complete one for sale now on eBay, asking $2400 USD. I am only selling because I expect to move, and hope to have room for a full sized mill.

There are a couple of styles of vertical attachments that have been made for these mills. Some of them are available from sellers on eBay, as are some brand new parts such as arbors and feed nuts.

I have done a lot of useful work with this mill, but after something like 70 years it is no longer quite like new, and I would really like to see it go to someone who has the time, interest, tools and ability to refurbish it.

Here's the power feed automatic shut-off in action:

front.jpg tool-rack.jpg cutters.jpg parts-diag.jpg speeds.jpg model-serial.jpg

Edit - This Is Now SOLD

Last edited by a moderator:

mickeyf

Yes, I did, but it seems that for a lot of people... They're not putting their there there.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
A friend here on the island has the equivalent to the G3617 https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g3617_m.pdf which has a longer table and a bit more depth. I decided I didn't have the space for that when when I bought the G3616 style. What I can do is modify mine to have a horizontal axis. The table twists etc. so all the other features would be there. Likely I could use one of the old DC Servos for power. Project #42