• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Smart & Brown 1024 Lathe, $12,000, Calgary, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
8b6577f1-c6fe-40c0-836e-abdb2a816074

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Divorced do you suppose? Or just changed their minds on dying........:rolleyes:

Must be an Ont connection there. The lathe came from Ont, and the plots are in Ont. Perhaps the owner moved to AB?

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Lathe feels way over priced - almost no accessories with it - and almost 10k USD??? Does it mean if I repaint my Chipmaster I can get for her also same money with same accessories? Or should I get more?

Must be an Ont connection there. The lathe came from Ont, and the plots are in Ont. Perhaps moved to AB?
Probably how it played out, but not as much fun to speculate about.....
As an aside, I was asked to dig a grave last spring, after a short silence she came back with that it needed to be double depth...... I couldn't resist asking what they had done that such extra precautions were required...... Learned a little more about undertaking than I had planned that day...... I had never heard of putting two bodies in one hole before.....

Chipper5783

”Chippies” are nice lathes too. Here are my rambling comments on the 1024.

The S&B 1024 is a nice lathe to operate (5C directly in the D1-4 spindle). He shows it with a blank plate on the spindle - not sure what that is about? I have a preference for the OEM mounting style (I have the original OEM offerings) of the spindle attachments (3J, 4J, FP) in that they direct mount (no adapter plate), which keeps them as short as possible - he seems to have after market chucks on adapter plates. The original PB 4J is quite narrow (about half as wide as he shows) - not as heavy duty, but goes down quite small (heck it is a small machine, not really looking for heavy duty components). Unfortunate that the TTA, micro carriage stop, both steadies are missing, but I will say that this machine has quite a long travel on the compound (you can do pretty long tapers via the compound compared to most 11” swing lathes).

The one for sale in Winnipeg (FB - reduced to $8600) is not as pretty, still has the original drive system (same as my machine, give 6+6 speeds of change on the fly) but has many of the preferred or hard to find extra bits (still no TTA, but a Jacobs collet chuck that expands the 5C collet range). I can’t comment on the benefit of the VFD since I use the original drive arrangement and it works very well (great for threading up to a shoulder or ramp out threads, you can down shift while threading). I don’t doubt that the VFD works well. People usually go the VFD route to deal with the 3 phase or voltage issue or if the fairly unique original motor had a problem (it is a 3 speed motor, probably weighs over #200).

Price aside, I’d vouch for the machine in general as being really nice (of course I know nothing about that particular machine). I’d also mention that it is of substantial weight (about #3000). Price? Well I guess it is whatever someone is willing to pay.

jorogi

Probably how it played out, but not as much fun to speculate about.....
As an aside, I was asked to dig a grave last spring, after a short silence she came back with that it needed to be double depth...... I couldn't resist asking what they had done that such extra precautions were required...... Learned a little more about undertaking than I had planned that day...... I had never heard of putting two bodies in one hole before.....
Seen current real estate prices ?

John