• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Small Lathe - 10x22 or smaller

China is okay, old is okay. Semi project is okay.

BC - 400km radius from Vancouver for an in person deal. Anywhere else, don't mind paying the shipping.

Boxford AUD/A
Myford 7 with gearbox
South Bend 9
China 8x16
Grizzly 8x16, 9x19, 10x22
King 10x22

Send me a link to some photos and the details if you have time. I'm currently in talks with China for a different lathe, if it doesn't work out then I'm sure we can sort shipping out. If it wasn't winter I wouldn't mind a road trip, Calgary right?

I can't see how to edit the main post but I am no longer interested in 10x22, too big for me. Would like to keep the overall lathe length <40".

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I can't see how to edit the main post but I am no longer interested in 10x22, too big for me. Would like to keep the overall lathe length <40".

Upgrade to a Premium Membership, then you will be able to edit all your posts including titles any time you want.

I was thinking a 9" Utilathe would be the perfect machine for you, but the chip tray on mine measures 46" long.

I was thinking a 9" Utilathe would be the perfect machine for you, but the chip tray on mine measures 46" long.
Yep, I came to the same conclusion about the 9 being just right. But I'm pretty sure now I want a 8x16. All around cheaper and easier to find.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Yep, I came to the same conclusion about the 9 being just right. But I'm pretty sure now I want a 8x16. All around cheaper and easier to find.

I think you're into mini-lathe territory now, 8X16 isn't much larger than a 7X12.

You sure you can't find the space for something larger?

My 9X22 Utilathe was a big step up from my mini and has all the big lathe bells and whistles. Power X and Y, simple belt changes for speed ranges, QCGB no change gears to deal with, taper attachment. I hauled it into the basement and set it up by myself (with a little help getting the bed down the stairwell).

Last edited:
You sure you can't find the space for something larger?
That looks like a great lathe. Very similar size and features to the Boxford that I looked at.

I would love all those features and heft but just don't have the room. I also would like something I can move if needed.

Mini lathe size is what I was originally looking for. The 7x14 is really small though, in every way. The 8x16 seems to be much more comfortable. I could fit that 9x22 but wouldn't want to. I'm also just playing around. If I run into lack of machine issues I can easily move up.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
This thread might be of some interest....

There is another member on here that just imported one as well.... but I can't recall his handle.

Sadly, I would imagine the shipping cost on these has gone through the roof these days.

Last edited:
This thread might be of some interest....

There is another member on here that just imported one as well.... but I can't recall his handle.

Sadly, I would imagine the shipping cost on these has gone through the roof these days.
Yep, That's the one.

There are a million variations of 8x16 lathe all being built by different companies using the same castings. The biggest differences is in the fit and finishing of the components and added features. Otherwise they all look the same. A very capable machine IMO. I hope to have a "my lathe is too small" issue as that would mean I am really enjoying the hobby.

I will be sure to do a very in depth review if the one I am looking at pans out.

Lathe no longer required, I have an 8x16 on order. More details to come when I get it and do a proper review. Till then it'll be a secret.