• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Small batch heat treaters or HT Stock

Goldxxx

Is there anyone in the GTA that does small batch heat treating. Something made in 4140 or 17-4.
I understand 17-4 is easy to air harden but I don’t have a electric kiln. I understand an option is to get 4140 HT. Not sure if 17-4 comes HT.
I have annealed stock on hand so I don’t want to go out and buy more stock.
If it’s a hassle to get something HT I may have to go that route. And my next question is who knows a trusted source supplier of this stuff in the GTA? I’ve never bought pre HT materials before. Does it come with a spec sheet or guaranteed Rockwell hardness that I can refer back to if the customer has concerns. And is the premium a lot higher to get it pre treated.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
4140 HTSR (heat treated, stress relieved) is pretty common, bigger suppliers usually have stock, not too bad for price. 28~32 Rockwell, machines quite nicely. Big league metal supply places will normally supply mill certs. - though its also common that you've gotta buy a full bar - 17 ~ 24' length randoms. Smaller quantities, someone may bring it in for you - at a premium.

trlvn

Ultra Member
How small a batch are you talking about? Would this be recurring or a one-off? My impression, unencumbered by actual experience, is that commercial heat treat operations don't welcome small volume, non-recurring business. (Much like the recent discussions about having a lathe bed reground.)

One option might be to find a blacksmith/blade maker. Such folks would have a certain amount of experience with hardening and tempering and might be open to smaller volume work. I see a listing for at least a few Ontario blacksmiths at:

Craig

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I found a local bladesmith guy (to Calgary) who does HT service at reasonable cost. Basically a home based, small business. I mailed him my parts, specified the material & target hardness. He took it from there & mailed them back. You would have to confirm your part size to oven dimensions of course & satisfy yourself they have appropriate experience (including quenching setup). From what I've seen of blade HT ovens, they aren't huge. Big enough to get the job done & conserve heating power. So I imagine anything bigger then its probably a more mainstream commercial HT service. I've never been brave enough to inquire about prices but keep us in the loop if you go that route

Most heat treating companies deal with machine shops and should do small batches (you may have longer leadtimes but that is to be expected sd they will fit it in with something else).