• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

SM 9" Utilathe Headstock gearbox oil?

The Sm 9" manual says SAE30 'oil'. My experience with enclosed gearboxes like these is that a non-detergent and non-foaming oil should be used, correct?

I added a half pint of kerosene and ran the lathe for a couple of minutes and drained the gearbox. I think the oil that was in the gearbox was a heavy weight gear oil - like a 75w judging by the viscosity even after being diluted with half a pint of kerosene.

I've done some reading and I'm seeing references to 'ISO68' or 'ISO100' sae30 weight oil. Can anyone recommend a brand/supplier?

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On my lathe, I use the following: Head Stock and Apron: Philips 66 Extra Duty Gear Oil, ISO68, from Oh Canada Supply. And way oil: Shell Tonna S2M ISO68 from Acklands Grainger. I used the KBC way oil long time ago once, never again. It was a sticky gooey mess. I went on vacation for two weeks one time, I get back and the apron wouldn't move. I thought I had the lock on. Nope. I had to pour acetone on the ways to loosen it up!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@thestelster that's interesting. I'm using way oil from KBC for several years now (well the same gallon). Can't recall the viscosity off hand but its this EEZ brand they distribute. Do you remember if that's what you have? I wipe the lathe ways & machine vise & mill one-shot with it. It seems to be flowing fine through the oil passages without gumming & no staining.

Looks like Mullen is the manufacturer/blender?

John Conroy

Premium Member
@thestelster that's interesting. I'm using way oil from KBC for several years now (well the same gallon). Can't recall the viscosity off hand but its this EEZ brand they distribute. Do you remember if that's what you have? I wipe the lathe ways & machine vise & mill one-shot with it. It seems to be flowing fine through the oil passages without gumming & no staining.

Looks like Mullen is the manufacturer/blender?
I've been using the same EEZ brand from KBC 20 wt way oil on my lathe and my mills for a long time with good result, I also use their 10 wt spindle oil in my mill and I like itas well. Maybe KBC changed brands, I first bought the EEZ brand from them about 5 years ago

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, it was that EEZ. I bought a gallon of it 30 years ago. Maybe they changed their formulation. Or perhaps they accidentally put molasses in the jug :)