SM 72T Bull gear

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
here a picture of the tooth and also it seems like used equipment is pretty pricy in Canada and the US if you live in a machine desert, I picked up these machines this winter from various areas within a 200 mile radius of me .the standard modern 13X30 with 3 chucks ,taper attachment steady rest QC tooling (complete set) Trav-A-Dial etc. ,paid 1200 for it and they delivered it from 4 hours away. No charge. Harig 612 surface grinder 630 bucks ..mint condition ,Darex E90 end mill grinder with ball end mill attachment and Darex drill grinder both mint 300 for the pair mitatoyo PJ250B comparator,mint 300 bucks,1984 bridgeport with everything you see for 900 bucks,ended up with a whole shop for under 3500

Where are you located?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
yes the .003 press fit was in fear of cracking the cast iron and also thats why i used a dovetail cutter and not a woodruff cutter,to spread the pressure evenly from the press fit

Jezz.... I had thought 3 thou would be too much - certainly not so minor to be safe...... I like the dovetail idea to give it some room. Did you glue it in or just friction fit?

Very nice job. I'll consider that approach next time I ever do that. If I wanted to, I could fix my old 1880s lathe that way as the back gear is broken the same way.

Danzo187

Premium Member
Jezz.... I had thought 3 thou would be too much - certainly not so minor to be safe...... I like the dovetail idea to give it some room. Did you glue it in or just friction fit?

Very nice job. I'll consider that approach next time I ever do that. If I wanted to, I could fix my old 1880s lathe that way as the back gear is broken the same way.
yup press fit (friction) ran it through all the speeds 75 rpm to 1500 .250.depth of cut .005 feedrate with 1.250 dia.12L14 ...solid quiet

Danzo187

Premium Member
that is some fantastic hunting. You did really well for living in a “tool desert”!

Very nice shop too.
oh no I didn't mean I'm in a tool desert ,I was saying for people that live in a tool desert I feel for them , the extra cost for machinery and not having stuff close by ,the shipping ,buying sight on seen , quite frustrating ,we need to go back to Vo-Techs and trade schools ,metal shop in high school.......we need good tradesmen ,whatever happened to apprenticeship and journeymen's training.......sorry I just got lost in my own thought. Oh we were talking about tool deserts.no ,where I am in proximity to New England's industrial complex is the place where an overabundance machinery can be had for cheap if not free

here a picture of the tooth and also it seems like used equipment is pretty pricy in Canada and the US if you live in a machine desert, I picked up these machines this winter from various areas within a 200 mile radius of me .the standard modern 13X30 with 3 chucks ,taper attachment steady rest QC tooling (complete set) Trav-A-Dial etc. ,paid 1200 for it and they delivered it from 4 hours away. No charge. Harig 612 surface grinder 630 bucks ..mint condition ,Darex E90 end mill grinder with ball end mill attachment and Darex drill grinder both mint 300 for the pair mitatoyo PJ250B comparator,mint 300 bucks,1984 bridgeport with everything you see for 900 bucks,ended up with a whole shop for under 3500
Well done on all accounts...... An excellent job on the tooth replacement, any dentist would proud if they could say the work was theirs....:cool:
And WOW, nice job setting up on a budget! Total tool envy!:oops: