Shop security

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know there was some discussion awhile back about how members secured their work space so I'm just sort of keeping in a similar vein. However if moderators think it's too far off forum subject fine it can be removed.

I'm looking for an old school wired security panel that works with magnetic door/window sensors and a wired alarm speaker. I can't for the life of me find one. No doubt new technologies (wireless) have eclipsed this sort of thing.

I want it for a remote building where I can run it with 12 volt power.
Any ideas where I might find such a beast? I've tried the major security retailers and big box stores and have even watched Kijiji for a bit but no luck. They probably are all sitting next to the vcr's of yesteryear.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would think the arduino route would serve you better you could even use sonics for motion/distancing setting off a warning sound, message etc
Ya I don't doubt it but I'm old school too and wouldn't know how to make that work.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Ya I don't doubt it but I'm old school too and wouldn't know how to make that work.
What are your requirements? How many doors and windows? Is it just magnetic switches you want as triggers together with a siren or horn? You are really in Arduino territory here (and inexpensive too). While I am not a great programmer, that's pretty simple stuff.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What are your requirements? How many doors and windows? Is it just magnetic switches you want as triggers together with a siren or horn? You are really in Arduino territory here (and inexpensive too). While I am not a great programmer, that's pretty simple stuff.
Really basic stuff. I just need one magnetic door sensor and I have a outdoor siren and strobe that needs to be controlled by an indoor keypad that would run on 12 volt. No telephone or wireless and no 120 volt power.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
The trickiest and most aggravating part of doing this would be making up a spiffy encloure. it could be done for maybe $50 in parts, probably less. The advantage of using an Arduino is the parts are cheap, and lots of people post programs on-line.

This example uses a motion sensor & buzzer, very easy to change the code to accept magnetic reed switches as input, and close a set of relay contacts when the buzzer goes off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm gunna break the mold here for this one.

I built my own alarm after I was broken into once. It's never happened again since but there have been a few attempts. Custom alarms have the advantage that a thief can never know how to defeat them. I built my own panel with smarts very similar to what you could do with an Arduino today.

And I'd bet they do make a panel like you need, but for this case, why not just go real basic - just for now at least?

Just wire all your switches as either normally open or normally closed through one low voltage supply and grounds to activate a relay. Or use several relays that close or open with the low voltage to trigger the siren. And use a key switch to turn the whole thing on or off. Just a plain old basic no smarts alarm that no thief would ever expect.

And here is a another tip that others might find useful too. Run a monofilament fishing line "trip wire" in a curtain to a pull switch and forget about glass sensors or regular window switches. They are too easily defeated. The curtain has to get pulled aside to get in and off goes the siren.

My shop and house today are monitored and I also have inexpensive Toucan wireless cameras that notify me when something is amiss.

Edit - The insurance discount pays for the monitoring service.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@DPittman - DSC is a good brand. The starter kits that @whydontu has referenced here include a few sensors and would meet your needs for fully wired. Price seems high but when you look at what is included, I think they are a good deal. But they do require setup and even a little programming. The manuals are pretty good though.
It wasn't clear to me that even their most basic kit could run without some sort of remote monitoring attached or if the unit could take its power directly from 12v dc.

Your suggestion of a basic system with switches and a key switch has got me thinking that this is appropriate technology for my application. I guess the keyed switch would have to be outdoors and turned off before opening the door, right? no time delay.?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It wasn't clear to me that even their most basic kit could run without some sort of remote monitoring attached or if the unit could take its power directly from 12v dc.

Your suggestion of a basic system with switches and a key switch has got me thinking that this is appropriate technology for my application. I guess the keyed switch would have to be outdoors and turned off before opening the door, right? no time delay.?

Yup. That's the idea. If you want a delay, that can be done too but it gets more complicated real fast. A hidden outdoor key switch is simple but effective. In fact, doesn't even have to be hidden. I doubt any burglar would expect something so simple. And if you do both normally open and normally closed circuits on the switch, it's pretty bullet proof. Cutting a wire or shorting the switch will still set the alarm off.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I guess I should add that alarm boxes like the DSC can be configured to use pull-up resistors that defeat both cutting and shorting the sensors. But that's another level of complication you prolly don't want to deal with right now.

If you want a wiring diagram, I can slap something together for you tomorrow. Or just ask more questions. Happy to help.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
DSC manuals (programming) pretty good...
1643023601169.gif
1643023555678.gif

Ya, they can be pretty confusing. But I have always been able to manage. I guess it depends on where you are coming from. If you understand how the thing works, the manual makes a little more sense than it otherwise would.

When I contracted out my monitoring service, they insisted on sending out a techie to "certify" my installation. He moved a few things around (to earn his pay I think) and then nothing worked. Finally, he gave up and let me fix it. The only thing they refused to do was give me the master password after they changed it. But he didn't know I had set two masters so that was not really an issue for me.

They don't even know they are monitoring my shop too. As far as they know it's just another sensor in the house. It's setup so activating the siren also trips a relay that opens a sensor line. It's on its own zone so the house alarm can be turned off while the shop is activated. Effectively, it's a one sensor zone.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I guess I should add that alarm boxes like the DSC can be configured to use pull-up resistors that defeat both cutting and shorting the sensors. But that's another level of complication you prolly don't want to deal with right now.

If you want a wiring diagram, I can slap something together for you tomorrow. Or just ask more questions. Happy to help.
Here's a picture of my siren and strobe and it has two reed switches that would activate if the box is ripped off the wall. I need to get a door sensor and a keyed switch and that should be it right? (Other than my power supply) stupid easy? 20220124_085300.jpg

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
One thing I've done, completely away from alarms, is adding a physical slide latch to my garage door. This way, even with the code or getting a remote for it, or the system going haywire, the door physically can't open and someone can't as easily pry the door up (it's easy to force an opener up). I shut that latch unless I'm in/out of the garage, and given it's an attached garage, the only other access is from in the house.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here's a picture of my siren and strobe and it has two reed switches that would activate if the box is ripped off the wall. I need to get a door sensor and a keyed switch and that should be it right? (Other than my power supply) stupid easy?View attachment 20246

Yup, stupid easy. Good way to put it.

Only a door entry, no windows?

You could consider a stand alone 3 wire movement sensor too. Pwr, grnd, signal wired into the same circuit as the door. Stupid easy too.

Ya, they can be pretty confusing. But I have always been able to manage. I guess it depends on where you are coming from. If you understand how the thing works, the manual makes a little more sense than it otherwise would.

When I contracted out my monitoring service, they insisted on sending out a techie to "certify" my installation. He moved a few things around (to earn his pay I think) and then nothing worked. Finally, he gave up and let me fix it. The only thing they refused to do was give me the master password after they changed it. But he didn't know I had set two masters so that was not really an issue for me.

They don't even know they are monitoring my shop too. As far as they know it's just another sensor in the house. It's setup so activating the siren also trips a relay that opens a sensor line. It's on its own zone so the house alarm can be turned off while the shop is activated. Effectively, it's a one sensor zone.
I used the eyezon.ca board as an add on. Lets me self monitor the system no additional monthly costs.