• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Shop Made BXA tool holders

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Here are a couple of small parts that I already had pictures of:

View attachment 30430

View attachment 30429

I just brake cleaner to prepare the parts before applying the Jax blackener. I believe I did 2 coats on eash of these parts and then submerged them in light oil. I had tried the '1 hour rust blueing process' before and the Jax product is so much easier that there is no comparison. I'm sure I can scratch through the blackening but so far it seems durable enough for what I want.

And if you happen to be in the Toronto area, the Sculpture Supply store is worth a visit just to see the wild stuff they have. They carry a lot of stuff special effects folks in the movie industry use to create masks and set pieces and all other props. Plus stuff for any kind of art sculpture you can imagine. Very near the Kipling subway station. I think they'll do mail order but I have no experience buying from them that way.

Craig
That would be a good enough result for me. I see the JAX product available in 16oz quantity. Would that be enough to do 10 BXA tool holders?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That would be a good enough result for me. I see the JAX product available in 16oz quantity. Would that be enough to do 10 BXA tool holders?

I'll split the shipping with you. Wouldn't mind a pint to try for myself.

John Conroy

Premium Member
If anyone in the Edmonton area wants something from Sculpture Supply I'm going to order some stuff soon. I will split the shipping with you

trlvn

Ultra Member
16oz quantity. Would that be enough to do 10 BXA tool holders?

I've applied it with a small foam brush so I'm pretty sure 16 oz would be sufficient. My bottle doesn't say how coverage it gives. The manufacturer web site has more information on preparing the parts and applying the product:

If you wanted to dunk the parts, that would obviously be faster but you'd need more. The Jax site does say you can dilute the blackener with water to make it go further.

Craig

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Finally got around to Blackening and finishing my tool holders. Thanks to Craig @YYCHM for his efforts in procuring the JAX Tool Black. Here's the steps I used to do the job. First wash well with degreaser, rinse in warm water and blow dry. Wash in Methyl Hydrate, blow dry, Immerse in JAX, rinse in water, soak in dark cutting fluid, let stand then wipe off excess.They look pretty ugly ubtil they are oiled. I'm pleased with the result.
PXL_20230515_175925563.jpg PXL_20230515_181429215.jpg PXL_20230515_182240813.jpg PXL_20230515_191405682.jpg PXL_20230515_201443648.jpg

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Love it! Nice results. All in the prep I'm sure.

How much Jax did you use up?
I wasn't sure I was going to have enough JAX for the amount of stuff I had to do. The bottle is 16oz. So, I put the parts one at a time in a sour cream container, poured a bit over and brushed it around with an acid brush. I did a second coat with enough fluid to submerge each part completely. In the end I used about 1/3 of the 16oz..