• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop layout and organization

kylemp

So with putting together a new shop, I'm trying to get ideas for layout and organization.

I'll post some pictures as it progresses but right now I'm wondering if anyone wants to share some ideas and pictures of how they've done it,what worked and didn't, etc. Right now I'm wondering how you guys do material storage.. I don't have an overhead Crane yet, or a forklift, so how I store the plate will depend heavily on retrieve ability.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Im going to watch this one. Closly! I would say the only omportant thing is have any fab work hapen far far away from the machining equipment to limit grinding dust and sparks on the machines. Keep us posted

sorrelcreek

Here is my home shop it's a 30 by 28 with 12 foot door and has a storage room and the other room is storage and a bathroom with radiant heat. I try and keep everything to the out side walls as much as a can so if I need to bring something in or building something that has size I still have room. Soon I'll probably loose more room if I buy more equipment. I just built this metal rack outside my shop cause I don't have the room I'd like to keep 20 foot lengths of steel. 20151229_193518.jpg 20151229_193149.jpg 20151229_192758.jpg 20151229_192735.jpg

BradH

Great space! In my shop I put the mill and lathe facing each other, because I am only using one or another at a time, and often swap between the two. The mill protrudes a bit but leaves a lot of the wall space open for other gear. For example, I might turn the corner with the toolboxes into the "machining corner". I have a small bandsaw like yours - I tuck it behind the mill until I need it. I have a much smaller welding table, and it doubles as a bench at the mill and lathe. I tuck it behind the table near the column of the mill to reduce footprint...

When I get the place cleaned up will send a photo to show...

Brad.