Shop heat

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
+/- 5 degrees? Sheer luxury...
I don’t miss working in the little shop space my parents had at their farmhouse, near Springbrook Ontario. My Dad set up one of those quartz tube heaters, but god, is a tablesaw ever miserable to run when the top’s still below freezing.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Prolly not a good time for anyone to brag about their heated shop eh......

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Prolly not a good time for anyone to brag about their heated shop eh......
Have you been told today? If not, I'd like to be first. If so, I'd like to be next...

Our semi-attached garage is currently 20 degrees F. Outside, it's -31 F. Last week, it was 40 F inside. Last spring I swore that if I accomplished anything all year, I'd get that damn unit heater hung. Still settin' there...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Have you been told today? If not, I'd like to be first. If so, I'd like to be next...

Our semi-attached garage is currently 20 degrees F. Outside, it's -31 F. Last week, it was 40 F inside. Last spring I swore that if I accomplished anything all year, I'd get that damn unit heater hung. Still settin' there...
It's sitting there and you haven't got it up?!?!, Do you need help? I just recently got my new heater up and going and just in bloody time man.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Outside, it's -31 F.

I'd love that. We have nothing but rain and a bit of sleet here right now. Supposed to be a winter storm tonight.

I'm suffocating with all this heat! At this rate, I'm gunna blow my winter fur and spring is still months away. If we don't get some nice cold soon, I'm gunna get mange. I need some cold!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
That is a great deal, I always like the Helios stuff, really well made tools. Don't think they exist anymore but the stuff I've had has been first class

I kind of think the +/- 5* temperature swings in my shop might make this device not as accurate as the factory intended.

yes and no, so long as everything is the same material it doesn't matter very much. otoh, its not like micron measurement is a daily occurrence. Things get so fidgety, surface finish makes the need bounce all over. I've a couple of 1/100,000" indicators/comparators picked up along the way ...... still searching for a practical use for them. Still, if it was close I'd buy it just because its top shelf and cheap and I'm a toolaholic.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
.....of course, anything of any size much bigger than a breadbox has to be done outside.....:oops:

-36 out west. that is nuts. I feel for you guys. Suppose to drop this week ( a frigid -7). This morning I was out for my 5:00 a.m. constitutional in shorts if you can believe it, was +5. Comparatively, its like the tropics.

It actually only got to -26 here, so, semi tropical I suppose we'll call it. By the end of next week we should be pushing close to zero again. It's actually been a very warm, snow free winter so far. Not looking good for the summer fire season...... Yup, indoor plumbing here too, must be a Toronto thing.....
:eek:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
We're either using the word differently ....... or you must really think the neighbours hate me lol. Since 2020 I've doing 5km runs every other morning. Try to stave off some of the aging process. John, kinda TMI, but glad to hear everything is working! :D

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I'd love that. We have nothing but rain and a bit of sleet here right now. Supposed to be a winter storm tonight.
Accuweather reads currently -38. Good news is, we finally got rid of the skeeters...

In fairness, it's been an exceptionally mild winter up to last week.