• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Shop and Tool improvements

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Here's a change I have wanted to make on my lathe tool post for some time. A new tool post mounting bolt and T - Nut. On the original the larger diameter area at the base of the bolt didn't extend very far up into the base of the post. The T-nut was also pretty flimsy. I also added a 12mm post on the top to accept indicators. I'm not sure if that's a feature that will stay, but I thought I would give it a try.. PXL_20220624_015656244.MP.jpg PXL_20220624_020001600.jpg PXL_20220624_020337680.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Interesting light mounting arrangement. Tell us more about that. Is it a battery powered led lamp? Magnetic base?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
So it's mounted on and travels with the saddle?

Mine appears to be identical. Yes, it mounts to a flange on the saddle. It's a 24V Halogen piece of dung. I like that it travels with the saddle, but the halogen bulbs burn out every 3 hours of use and are impossible to find. Worse, mine melted the switch. I mounted a magnetic battery powered LED Lamp where the original was. I'd like to find or make something better. I'll probably keep the saddle mounted feature.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The T-nut was also pretty flimsy. I also added a 12mm post on the top to accept indicators. I'm not sure if that's a feature that will stay, but I thought I would give it a try..

Our lathes are VERY similar. My BXA toolpost mounts the same way with a flaky semi-circular base instead of a proper T-Nut. I've thought about making a better base but it's low on the priorities and may never get done.

But I totally completely and entirely LOVE your indicator mounting post idea! I am forever and always trying to stick something on the toolpost for that usually with a magnet of some sort. The big magnetic blocks suck for that. I saw a Joe Pie video (one of the few I ever watched) and fell in love with the General holder he used. It took me ages to finally find one and it cost me dearly on an ebay auction. But at least I know it was worth what I paid. One of the members on here suggested an Erik and it is similarly awesome - better than the General in many ways. It's the one I use on the tool post now.

However, a million members all voted to get a NOGA two way micro adjustable. But it has the big block base so I don't use it on the tool post - only on the cross-slide or the lathe head.

Your idea just screams at me! I might take a look at whether Noga makes a bar post type with an adjustable nose. That would fit your concept and be amazing. I've just moved the project up near the very top of my priorities list.

THANK YOU @ducdon !!!!

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I am in awe. The indicator extension is brilliant.

Ikea LED lamp. Reasonably cheap, flexible housing. Been in my mill for at least 5 years. They also make a USB version that’s super cheap.

I drilled and tapped a hole for a vertical indicator post from a magnetic base, at the 2:00 position on my lathe cross slide. Lamp or coolant line goes on to the post and is aimed towards the tool bit. Your idea is way better.

Last edited:

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Our lathes are VERY similar. My BXA toolpost mounts the same way with a flaky semi-circular base instead of a proper T-Nut. I've thought about making a better base but it's low on the priorities and may never get done.

But I totally completely and entirely LOVE your indicator mounting post idea! I am forever and always trying to stick something on the toolpost for that usually with a magnet of some sort. The big magnetic blocks suck for that. I saw a Joe Pie video (one of the few I ever watched) and fell in love with the General holder he used. It took me ages to finally find one and it cost me dearly on an ebay auction. But at least I know it was worth what I paid. One of the members on here suggested an Erik and it is similarly awesome - better than the General in many ways. It's the one I use on the tool post now.

However, a million members all voted to get a NOGA two way micro adjustable. But it has the big block base so I don't use it on the tool post - only on the cross-slide or the lathe head.

Your idea just screams at me! I might take a look at whether Noga makes a bar post type with an adjustable nose. That would fit your concept and be amazing. I've just moved the project up near the very top of my priorities list.

THANK YOU @ducdon !!!!
I can't take credit for the indicator mounting extension. I stole that from someone on U tube, Can't remember who.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I can't take credit for the indicator mounting extension. I stole that from someone on U tube, Can't remember who.

Doesn't matter where you saw it. You did and you liked it enough to pass it on. I will do the same. Except I will also add a second Lever to replace the hex nut. I don't really like having to keep a wrench in the chip tray for that. Two handles and an indicator bar seems like a great solution for everything.

I'll prolly wait till I find a decent BXA wedge style Tool Post though. My piston style works just fine as a rule, but always moves the tool up a bit when tightened which requires compensation. I'm told that the wedge style doesn't do that. So I've been on the hunt for one for several years now.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Susquatch In BXA I have a piston, an offshore wedge, and a genuine Aloris. (oh yeah)

I find very little difference in use. The very inexpensive piston BXA that I inherited with a lathe is very slightly less rigid in parting. The inexpensive offshore wedge worked very fine for me. If I didn't find a *super deal* on a real Aloris wedge with 5 holders, I wouldn't have one. but temptation being what it is....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If I didn't find a *super deal* on a real Aloris wedge with 5 holders, I wouldn't have one. but temptation being what it is....

Still waiting to be tempted like that.....

I even tried to find a bxa wedge on Ali but failed. Lots of 0's & A's, but no B's. If I did find one it would have to be really good. I've managed with what I have ever since I got the better lathe 10 yrs ago. It will only get an upgrade when temptation hits a really sensitive nerve under my wallet.