• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Shop and living space

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I don't think this structure is beautiful, maybe it is a problem of geographical habits, especially in Canada, more time is cold winter, is it really necessary to keep this bare column space? Is it more reasonable to make a clear vacuum glass room?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I don't think this structure is beautiful, maybe it is a problem of geographical habits, especially in Canada, more time is cold winter, is it really necessary to keep this bare column space? Is it more reasonable to make a clear vacuum glass room?
Those posts would be gone and the workshop would be there and 1 less car spot too.(also shop)...

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I really like the depth for a rear workshop but I've never liked garages with so little space between cars. Parking in the wild is bad enough without dinging up your doors at home too.

I wanna see an attractive carriage house with a taller/wider shop door so you can back a loaded flatbed in there. I think the peak and non-symmetrical design that @jcdammeyer likes is more amenable to that. It would be interesting to push that envelope a bit to see what could be done.

I think both designs put way too much emphasis on the upstairs living space. It screams out like a rental space. I want zero to do with that. Renting out space is a pain in the keester. I'd rather see more shop space or an art studio for the missus, or a kids playroom for grandkids, or a hobby space of some kind.

They both scream of the need for a small outside upstairs access door so you can move equipment up there with a fork lift.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I think both designs put way too much emphasis on the upstairs living space. It screams out like a rental space. I want zero to do with that. Renting out space is a pain in the keester. I'd rather see more shop space or an art studio for the missus, or a kids playroom for grandkids, or a hobby space of some kind.
THIS.
Unless you are very very picky about renters, you are going to have a bad time on Sunday evening trying to do anything even remotely noisy in the shop without annoying the renters.
As much as I love my shop, I wouldn't want to be the poor bastard living above it.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
And no, I wouldn't rent it out. Not interested in having other people in my face. The upper level in that first one would be ideal for my office and electronics/computer area and although with sewer/water connection still be far cheaper than paying for office space somewhere.

Here's a much bigger one.

Again, wouldn't rent it out. Instead to avoid capital gains taxes would likely move into it and then refinish our existing house which has an upper and lower driveway into a two suite house. Renovation costs and taxes plus fixed costs for utilities would be easily covered by the lower suite rent and the upper would cover the carriage house shop. The second bedroom a sewing room for my wife with the Murphy bed moved over from the old house for the occasional guest. The study becomes a walk in closet and the washroom an ensuite since there's a second one on the main floor entry foyer.

And a nice big shop for me and my toys.... I mean tools...

But all just dreaming for now. I think a small space for an elevator that can handle a wheel chair in case one of us in the future might need that and the stairs to the suite are too much.